Homeopathic vets

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 17 July 2008 1.04pm
Does anyone know any homeopathy practising vets in SE London?
Thursday 17 July 2008 1.10pm
It's bad enough people using that sort of clap-trap on themselves by choice. It is wholly unacceptable when they try it on animals that are unable to express a choice. Fortunately the RSPCA is likely to prosecute those who partake in homeopathic remedies for animals as it will constitute neglect.

It "works" by the placebo effect - as there are no active ingredients it cannot work otherwise. It accordingly cannot work on animals. See Wikipedia entry for references to scientific papers debunking this myth.
Thursday 17 July 2008 1.26pm
Whoah, what an aggressive response!!!!!!

Actually the question was are there any homeopathic vets in SE London, NOT do you believe in homeopathy??!!

What a lot of rubbish about RSPCA prosecuting because of neglect!!!

Using homeopathy (which yes, to a lot of people is useless & therefore cannot have side effects) AS WELL AS conventional treatment is hardly neglect?

Anyway, regardless of any personal belief systems or not, maybe we could stick to the question posed and if anyone wants to start a discussion about the effects (or not) of homeopathy or anything else, START A NEW THREAD? Yes?

Peace!
Thursday 17 July 2008 2.22pm
Mapmaker - were you ever an attendee at the Skeptics in the Pub nights that used to be held at the King's Head off Borough High Street? I went to a very entertaining talk there about homeopathy a few years ago. The crowd were mostly cantankerous, socially inept males but it was a great regular event in the area. They've now moved to a bigger venue at Holborn, which I've yet to make it to: http://www.skeptic.org.uk/pub/

I seem to recall that water has a molecular memory of the presence of the homeopathic ingredient, even when said ingredient is diluted to non-existent levels. Skeptics send out bad vibes, which interfere with the efficacy of the remedy at a molecular level, causing water to forget that it's supposed to remember the homeopathic substance.

I think I'd be worried about consulting any vet who believed - or purported to believe - this sort of guff, even if they were offering conventional treatments at the same time.
Thursday 17 July 2008 2.32pm
Beowulf wrote:
The crowd were mostly cantankerous, socially inept males

I didn't realise we had met.

I don't mind people like OP throwing their money away on memorial molecules as an aside to proper treatment. I do mind people who faced with one pot of cash to spend buy the homeopathic snake oil rather than the one that will work. That is animal cruelty - about which I have very strong views.
Thursday 17 July 2008 2.39pm
I agree with The Mapmaker. I hope there aren't any homeopathic vets in SE London, and I hope if there are nobody encourages anyone else to risk their pets' health by using them.

Homeopathy is just a very profitable hoax.

http://quackometer.net/
Thursday 17 July 2008 5.39pm
Mapmaker, I agree 100%. I can think of nothing more irresponsible than subjecting a sick animal to voodoo medicine. It's actually sickening to think that there are idiots out there who would think of doing such things never mind that there are charlatans out there who would prey on the obvious suggestibility of such idiots.
Thursday 17 July 2008 6.01pm
Did you look here? They have a list but say it was last updated in the spring of 2007 and I couldn't see any locally. You can write to them for a fuller list.

You can also phone the British Homeopathic Association on 0870 444 3950 to find your nearest homeopathic vet.
Zoe
Thursday 17 July 2008 8.43pm
While it's not in SE London, you might want to consider seeing this person, he does a clinic in Bayswater once a week.

http://www.naturalmedicinecentre.co.uk/

I got some very sensible advice from him for my dog's arthritis.

It's important that you see someone who is actually a vet, who offers alternative treatments. I suspect homeopathy is a load of rubbish, but it's clear that some alternative treaments do work, so as long as you see someone who is a qualified vet, I always think it's best to keep an open mind, and you aren't doing any harm to try it.
Thursday 17 July 2008 10.13pm
If alternative treatment actually worked it'd just be called treatment.

The word "alternative" before medicine, therapy or treatment should ring the same alarm bells as it would if it preceded plumber, train-driver or baby sitter.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network