Tate Modern extension - brick not glass

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Jim
Friday 18 July 2008 3.41pm
See http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3417

So what do we all think?

I'm no architecture critic but I think it sits much more comfortably with the original power station building.
Friday 18 July 2008 3.49pm
I agree - I liked the glass extension but I prefer the way this works with the original brick structure.
Friday 18 July 2008 6.49pm
I agree that the brick is definitely a better option, but its a shame it seems to dominate the original structure (maybe the perspective of photo?)
One of the main reasons i love the existing building is because it is such a 'force' and i hope the new extension dosn't steal its strength. Would like to see a view from the other side of the river to see what it does to the skyline?
Friday 18 July 2008 7.44pm
I think the most impressive thing is that I discovered the news article via a page link from Google news business section!
London-SE1.co.uk hits the mainstream, eh?
Friday 18 July 2008 8.08pm
I prefer the glass - the brick looks like compromise to me and therefore naff, Where is Zaha Hadid when we need her? Or Lieberskind?
Friday 18 July 2008 8.20pm
Having just left the presentation for this build I have to say I'm reasonably happy with it. What isn't apparent from the main picture is that the facade is created from a lattice of perforated brick which means you can effectively see through the entire building and which adds a middle eastern flavour to the aesthetic.

Why pray would we wish yet another glass and steel affair into the area however 'wacky the box arrangement? That proposal never struck me as a finished design and besides, would prove difficult to justify on environmental terms alone as keeping such a structure cool during the summer months would be extremely costly.
Friday 18 July 2008 8.22pm
Better, but still too tall.
Friday 18 July 2008 9.04pm
Tate M's pretty ugly from the back. Anything that gets in the way of that view gets my vote.
Friday 18 July 2008 10.20pm
Better, but still too tall.

I would agree it tends to strip the main building of some of its weight.
Friday 18 July 2008 11.07pm
I think both designs are banal and egotistical. I'm certainly not of the 'it must be in keeping' (read: the same size and material) brigade. But I do think that relationships between old and new are important and complicated and shouldn't be trivialised. The 3d renderings shown look like back of a fag packet narcissistic sketches jazzed up into pseudo-architecture by clever software. H&dM used to be sharp and provocative. Now they're just arrogant. Southwark should just tell them to naff off and leave the South Bank alone. I also don't happen to think that the Tate Modern fit out is much good - very frustrating to circulate around, already looking tatty, possessing no 'secret spaces' to discover. Boring.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network