Unsettling experience

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 19 July 2008 11.42am
I was walking through the Weston Street tunnel on Thursday night around 10:30 or 11, and had a rather unsettling experience. I walked past a guy who was lying propped up in one of the alcoves, either asleep or passed out, with a baseball cap over his face and an empty bottle next to him. A minute or two later, four boys about 13 or 14 years old came tearing through the tunnel on bicycles, coming the wrong direction, followed by a grinning adult man (I assumed he was the father of one or more of them), also on a bicycle and holding up a mobile phone. One of the boys had a bicycle wheel hooked around his arm. They were all very excited and laughing, in a rather disturbing way. They passed me and a few seconds later I heard a loud BOOM. I turned around and realized the kid had hurled the wheel at the sleeping man. They sped off laughing and yelling "Wake up!" at him. I started back to see if he were hurt, but he was standing up yelling back at them (quite shaken, I am sure). He was black, and the boys and the man were white.

I still can't get this episode out of my mind, especially the fact that they obviously came equipped with the wheel expressly to throw it at him, and the father was just as obviously recording the whole thing on his mobile phone.
Saturday 19 July 2008 2.58pm
F****ing disgusting pieces of excreta, lets hope they get caught on cctv somewhere. Thank God he was alright physically at least..poor devil there is a nice likeable black guy near where i live, inevitably drunk as skunk, never asks for money, why cant scum like this let people alone?
another time it may have been more than a wheel.
Sunday 20 July 2008 11.13am
That's terrible. Sounds like it might end up on YouTube. People who terrorize those less fortunate than them are just vermin.
Monday 21 July 2008 8.43am
I am feeling angry.

But unsure what the answer is.
Monday 21 July 2008 5.00pm
We could outlaw wheels, for starters.
Monday 21 July 2008 10.01pm
I should think they stole the wheel from a locked bike earlier, saw this guy sleeping and decided to use the wheel as a weapon for fun and not sell it as planned. In my experience there are always lads going round on bikes looking for trouble, either looking to steal something or looking for violence. Tonight I saw a group of lads on bikes slowing down every time they saw a chained bike to see if it was worth stealing. Last year I was walking home at about 11.30 pm and a few lads on bikes past me, slowed down and tried to face me off I kept my cool and faced them off they went on their way. It was a fairly intiminating experience. Unfortunately there are some very nasty people out there.
Monday 21 July 2008 10.57pm
I am also angry and equally unsure of the answer. There are so many mindless morons 'out there' [not just in this area] and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. Far from it.
Tuesday 22 July 2008 6.59am
I think what bothered me the most was that there was an adult with them.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: