Trouble on Weston Street Saturday night

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6
Sunday 30 November 2003 2.24am
Hi Guys,

Just wondered if anyone knew why I had so much trouble getting home tonight/this morning.

I got the train from Surbiton to Waterloo just after midnight from a friends party and after having obviously missed the last tube decided to get the train from Waterloo East to London Bridge.

When I got to Waterloo East I was informed trains non stopping at London Bridge, no reason given.
So I trudged back to the taxi rank at Waterloo, after waiting in the queue for a while I was turned down by 2 taxi drivers after asking to go to Shad Thames because of police closure of bits of Borough High Street and Duke street Hill. Due to trouble at the SE1 club on Weston St.
Eventually one driver agreed to take me and yes there were police closures. You could not turn off Borough High Street and pass Guys hospital, neither could you turn right onto Duke Street hill.
However there did not seem enough police to indicate a major incident and I just wondered if anyone else had trouble or knows why this happenned?

Call me a nosy parker but Im just interested!

Jo
Sunday 30 November 2003 10.48am
You could have walked home in 15 minutes.
Sunday 30 November 2003 1.06pm
I know, but I had consumed one two many glasses of happy juice and a girlie wandering about drunk by herself at that time of night is not ideal!

Jo.
Monday 1 December 2003 10.07am
I drove by at 2.30 am and there were loads of people coming in/out of a party under the arches - most were young black males complete with hoodies and looking rather menacing... Personally I think the police did the right thing there as the clientele looked 'up for it'
Monday 1 December 2003 11.22am
Apparently there was a nightclub launch opposite the hays that warranted numerous police bloackades into all roads leading to and from London Bridge.

I can't believe that one nightclub opening deserved that much attention and for all the traffic problems it caused, I hope the nightclub owners were made to pay for all the extra policing.
Monday 1 December 2003 1.34pm
If the club is a reflection of the people it attracted on saturday night then we have a problem folks...
Monday 1 December 2003 2.08pm
On saturday night my girlfriend and I had her parents down for the night. We made our way home from town at about 2.30 and were lucky enough to get a cab to take us. Unfortunately, due to the road closure we were forced to get dropped off by the London Dungeons.

Not realising why the roads were closed we decided to walk through one of the tunnels to Weston St. On the other side we ran into all the hundreds of partygoers who it seemed had unexpectedly found themselves on the street.

Dave was correct when he said the majority were young black males with hoodies. However, I would be interested to find out on what he based his view that they were "up for it". My girlfriend, her paretns and I walked through the crowds to get home and, despite being pretty much the only white people there, had no trouble whatsoever.

Any elightenment as to what happened would be welcomed - there did seem to be a lot of polic cars and vans around. It appeared that everyone had been thrown out of a club (I assumed SE1) early for some reason.
Monday 1 December 2003 2.49pm
Dave - Do you realise how unbelievably racist you sound? I'm fairly sure that you didn't intend to be but you really ought to read your messages through before you post them. Was the crowd menacing because it was black or was it the 'hoodies' they were wearing?

I think that the club nights held under the railway arches are usually on offs so we probably won't have to worry about future invasions.
Monday 1 December 2003 6.26pm
Thanks for all your responses guys!
Guess I know what went on now.
Hopefully this kind of disruption won`t become too regular, but I guess I agree that the police did the right thing in being over cautious, better safe than sorry as my mam would say!

Jo
Monday 1 December 2003 6.32pm
I agree with Sarah-- I was a bit taken aback by your remark....the question is whether the police blocked the roads for the right reasons and what you find menacing might not at all be menacing to others. 'being up for it' is tendentious and therefor the most invalid remark you could make.

It is unclear to me what really happened and whether the police's behaviour was justfied or not. Until we have clarity I would abstain from racist remarks.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 1 of 6

This thread has been closed

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network