Third World Postal Service

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 13
Monday 5 January 2004 4.10pm
As yet I still have not been updated by the Post Office.

However I know have a new complaint to them, I had a Special Delivery sent to the building on 23/12 - The Post Office did not deliver it since apparently there was no one available to sign. My site is open 24 x 7 x 365 - there are a number of security guards here all the time and people work onsite 24 hours a day.

I complained and on 24/12 the Post Office aparently delivered again. However the delivery has gone missing. I have requested the name of the signature who signed for the delivery and apparently this takes 4 - 5 days to find out. Whether this item was delivered with be interesting to find out.

I have requested that the Post Office prove to me the quality of their service by mailing a number of items and I will keep a record of when they will arrive - this suggestion has so far been met with silence.
Monday 5 January 2004 4.16pm
sputnik,

I wouldn't hold your breath for a response from Simon Hughes via faxyourmp.com.

I faxed him at least a couple of months ago on another topic. About a month later I got a pre-printed postcard acknowledging my fax and promising a full reply in due course. So far I've heard nothing.

I don't know if all post to MPs is this slow, but I suggest that a "real" letter may give better results.

I do hope you get somewhere though, because it's comical.

I think we could all join in with Business' idea and have an organised campaign of sending ourselves things and keeping records of whether/when they are delivered. I'm v happy to pitch in, but it'd probably take a more scientific brain than mine to work out what we each could do to give a good-sized and wide-ranging survey population.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Monday 5 January 2004 5.57pm
This is a good idea - a mass test. I for one am happy to do this if there's a bunch of us.

It would give us material for press coverage....

but also, carpmaker, waiting for a letter from Simon Hughes is a tad ironic given the situation. Perhaps we could add that to the list of 'stolen' items that HC might give to the police...just to add more Kafka to this already highly Kafka-loaded situation.
Monday 5 January 2004 6.07pm
lol sputnik!! Maybe he's been sending me whole parcels of mail (in fact, if he's been sending tasty-looking parcels then it's VERY unlikely that I'd have received them).

Monday 5 January 2004 6.13pm
Rather than using a third-party fax service, why not email Simon Hughes's office directly? Details on his website:

http://www.simonhughes.org.uk

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 5 January 2004 6.14pm
Excellent piece of info (as ever) James.

I might test the "official" fax versus the faxyourmp.com method.

Monday 5 January 2004 6.39pm
Research International have an ongoing survey on postal services. It is based on indivuiduals both in residential and business addresses sending test items on behalf of them and noting the received items on their forms. They are looking for new panel members, e-mail them at posted@research-int.com if interested. As a reward you get free stamps to last a lifetime and shopping vouchers (5 a month). At least this way they get to know, how bad the service around here is.

Also, make sure your postie knows you are in the survey, so you wil be guaranteed to receive all your mail! It works for me.

Monday 5 January 2004 6.40pm
HC,

My list of items sent to me, but never delivered includes:

my birth certificate (sent Oct '02)
a book (sent early Dec 03)
an Amazon package (sent early Dec)

I am fine for you to report this to the police although I imagine they will want me to report them myself.

However, let us know what they say.

Someone, somewhere must be responsible for the safe delivery of our post (even if it isn't the police.)

Are there any lawyers on this forum? if so, what's the contractual obligation for the Royal Mail inherent in using a Royal Mail stamp?

and carpmaker - perhaps the whole of SE1 should resort to carrier pigeons... we could get a grant from the Woodland Trust..
Monday 5 January 2004 7.10pm
Sputnik,

First I should declare an interest - I have two outstanding complaints with Royal Mail relating to delivery of DVD's in unmarked envelopes. Of five seperate deliveries, three were received opened but resealed with sellotape (the Japanese language ones which presumably didn't appeal to whomever had a look) and two recent blockbusters went missing. Royal Mail have said it's all a mystery to them so I'm pursuing it with Postcomm.

Postcomm is the independent regulator set up by the Postal Services Act 2000 which is supposed to ensure that Royal Mail and other postal operators meet their service obligations. Its explanation about what it does can be found at http://www.postcomm.gov.uk/documents/Media/Pcm_about.pdf.

Postcomm's website also has a copy of Royal Mail's latest licence, which is the legal document which actually sets out Royal Mail's service obligation. Its latest views on how Royal Mail is getting on with its targets is at http://www.postcomm.gov.uk/documents/background/kpis191203copy.pdf. I remember at the time of the consultation about whether Royal Mail had to deliver to all addresses, no matter how remote - Royal Mail raised the issue that Postcomm didn't have the right to regulate it in this way (it being effectively a government entity). I assume this argument got slapped back down where it deserved, as I've heard no more about it.

In good news though, the final phase of Royal Mail's compensation scheme for delayed post started on 1st Jan, 2004. This bit about greater levels of compensation was forced on the company kicking and screaming, so don't necessarily believe the spin in the attached press-release, but it does give the relevant details. http://www.royalmailgroup.com/news/expandarticle.asp?id=1061&brand=royal_mail

Post edited (05 Jan 04 19:19)
Tuesday 6 January 2004 8.18am
I've emailed the people Juha mentioned and will post any news on here.

In the meantime I'll dream of the skies of SE1 full of carrier pigeons....

Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 13

This thread has been closed

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network