Third World Postal Service

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 7 of 13
Thursday 8 January 2004 12.22pm
Good to see so many concerned people talking about this. (I've had post gone spectacularly and mysteriously missing too as, I suspect, have a majority of people in SE1). Now that we've tapped into the issue on the wonderful James Hatt-line, it might be time to meet and work out a coherent strategy. Is there a lawyer in the house?

... don't get angry, get even.
Thursday 8 January 2004 3.32pm
Rach

I think it's shocking that the licencing people have virtually convinced people that it's illegal not to have a licence.

Personally I'm almost inclined to buy a black and white TV licence just to shut them up. But I dare say it wouldn't.
Thursday 8 January 2004 3.40pm
I've emailed Simon Hughes directly, and I'll let you know what he says.

Personally I would be happy to meet 'n' vent, but also want to wait to see if SH advises us on the most effective, tactical form our citizen-actionry can take.

For example, MPs can use petitions or represent lobby groups but which one of those is most effective for our situation?

I think this list is actually the best way to collect the info at the moment. It's a great archive of the issue, and it means that Simon Hughes, any journalists (or the longed-for lawyer) can check out our arguments with ease.

I think that helps us the best for the moment.

But I am always up for a beer.
Thursday 8 January 2004 5.05pm
Aha! Some light on where all this missing post might be...
I met a new neighbour today, and she had a 'we had a parcel but you weren't here, come to the sorting office and collect' note through her door - after wondering where months of post had gone, she arrived at the sorting office near the old kent road to be given a huge box containing all her lost post! Bundles, all elastic banded into piles...!!! See you down there!
Thursday 8 January 2004 5.21pm
sophie,

your story would be comical, if it were a tale of woe from an ex-soviet bloc country

given that it's london in 2004, it's left me ......[speechless]

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Thursday 8 January 2004 11.12pm
... I phoned Simon Hughes on Tuesday & told him about this thread, so yes, replies are genuine. Keep him up to it!

Yes, I have actually had a real live (I think) TV licence man at my door. When I told him I didn't have a telly, he said - wait for it- 'but my machine says you do'. I told him where he could put his machine and he then said that it must be picking up signals from a neighbour's TV and how were the flats arranged & who lived where? I said it was none of my business & no, he couldn't come in without a warrant from the police, signed by a JP. His parting shot was that he wouldn't be calling again for 2 years. That was 2 years ago, so I'm getting my heffalump trap ready.

It really is an appalling intrusion and impertinence, that you are supposed to prove you don't have something which you are not obliged to have - yet, anyway. Maybe the next step will be compulsory TVs in every home, compulsorily tuned permanently to the T.Blair channel. (or just there to record & report on everything we do). Was 1984 really 20 years ago?
Friday 9 January 2004 3.46pm
The whole point is that you are not 'that you are supposed to prove you don't have something'. Merely that they intimidate little old ladies and others into letting them run amok around their house by PRETENDING that you are supposed to prove you don't have something.
Friday 9 January 2004 7.04pm
I'm sorry to impersonate James Hatts, lovely though I am sure he is.

I know this forum often has interesting asides lurking in the middle of threads. But would people mind sticking to the topic of the post problems in SE1 on this thread.

I ask since we are aiming to get the attention and support of people we need to move this issue forward: namely, a lawyer, journalists and Simon Hughes.

The more we stick to the topic the easier it is for newcomers to get their heads around all the numerous issues outlined above.

Sorry to sound in any way officious...I'm cuddly really.
Saturday 10 January 2004 10.05pm
Got a package today in the post (minor miracle in itself!) and there was a small rip on one side. Not something that you would normally notice. Except I suddenly realised it looked like an attempt to see what the package contained. Seeing as it was paperwork from my accountant, I figure that's why I actually received it.
Clearly can't prove anything, but its something to ponder on.
Monday 12 January 2004 10.57am
Hi
not gloating, but thought it might be useful to let you know that at my address (near Borough tube) I have no problems.

I had several parcels over Christmas (including a huge package from Australia) - all arrived promptly and undamaged.
Regular bills etc arrive as expected and international post within 48-72 hours.

easyrecall
Current: 7 of 13

This thread has been closed

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network