Third World Postal Service

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 8 of 13
Monday 12 January 2004 11.06am
easyrecall - I too felt secure about my postal service until just before christmas. I hope you dont suffer the same problems I have over the last month as I am now firmly in the 'victims of crime' section of this post.
Monday 12 January 2004 12.04pm
For a while all my Amazon orders went missing. Each time this happened I went to the sorting office at least twice to check whether or not they were there. After a while I expressed the suspicion that Amazon parcels where being systematically taken. Since then everything has been delivered within a reasonable time.
Monday 12 January 2004 1.02pm
I was at the sorting office on Saturday - do you think they've ever thought about getting a computerised system in??
But also, there was a woman there to pick up a package which turned out to be a package that she had sent someone that was being returned. When she said 'Oh no, why is that coming back to me?' to no one in particualr, the guy behind the counter said 'Probably cos the postman couldn't be bothered delivering it love'.
I was lost for words....
Monday 12 January 2004 1.20pm
Where's the sorting office please?

It sounds like it's worth popping along, just in case they've anything tasty down there that the posties haven't ripped off already.

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Monday 12 January 2004 2.25pm
Thanks Rach for the useful advice about Equifax. I have been concerned about identity theft but didn't know there was anything you could do about it. I'll drop them a line.

It seems from all the posts here that there's potentially two things going on. One is posties maybe supplementing their income with whatever goodies pass through the sorting office. Thinking about it, it must be extremely difficult for Royal Mail to only employ honest people - how would they know? Given the recent wranglings over pay and inevitable bad vibes that postal workers must have, I can't say I'm surprised (though don't mistake this as me condoning that sort of behaviour because I certainly don't).

The second and far more sinister force at work could be organised identity theft, either inside or outside Royal Mail. Obviously, this is only based on circumstantial evidence, but we do seem to amassed a fair amount of this now on this (and previous) threads.
Monday 12 January 2004 3.18pm
Best of luck for anyone hoping to get any help on this topic from Simon Hughes MP. I wrote to him as long ago as February 2002 about the appalling postal service in SE1 (taking care, of course, not to post the letter in SE1). I received neither an acknowledgement nor a reply - the only tiem this has ever happened on all the (admittedly infrequent) times I have written to an MP over the past thirty years. So that was my vote gone but I do not suppose that worries this complacent MP.
I recntly went to Nelson Mandela way (a name which always makes me think that Del Boy and Rodney could run a more efficient and honest service) to collect two recorded delivery items. These have high-tech barcode tracking numbers - but at NMW they laboriously look them up in a tatty manuscript book. Except they were not there because the "bloody postmen" as the lady behind the counter described them cannot be arsed to record returned items. They eventually turned up back at the senders' about six weeks later.
Finally, I do think the title of this thread is very unfair. I have lived in so-called third world countries and none of them has a postal service anything like as bad as SE1's.
HC
Tuesday 13 January 2004 5.31pm
Ive eventually made it to the police station to report the missing mail and told them all of our woes. Unfortunately they wd only let me register my missing parcels under my crime reference, so we cant all piggy back it unfortunately.

In the meantime something more concerning has started happening, that being someone rummaging through our mail boxes (I live in a flat) pulling out mail and discarding the stuff that is of no use on the floor outside the flat. God knows what they have taken, but I'm going straight onto that www.equifax.co.uk website following this message.
Wednesday 14 January 2004 10.40am
FAO: Kelvin Hard

Dear Kelvin,

Once again I write again on behalf of Simon Hughes MP, who has just been reading this thread. He apologises for the fact that your last letter does not appear to have received any attention. Once again I must stress that Simon does receive hundreds of letters every week and does attempt to address them all. Once again if you still wish to raise a specific issue then it would be helpful if you could provide details either by letter or email.

The standard of postal services in SE1 is an issue about which Simon is aware and has previously endeavoured to tackle. In his opinion postal services in both SE1 and SW1 are poor.

Prompted by this thread Simon has decided that it would be appropriate to arrange a meeting with those who are unhappy about the postal services in SE1. I will provide details of such a meeting in my next message.
Wednesday 14 January 2004 11.02am
FAO: All those who have contributed to this thread

Simon Hughes MP regards the standards of postal services in SE1 as an important issue and one which is worthy of concern. Simon has personally experienced problems with postal services in SE1 and SW1 as well. This is an issue which he has raised with the Post Office in the past.

Simon has already raised the broad issue of sub standard postal services in SE1 and SW1 in writing to the Managers of the local sorting offices, copied also to the Chief Executive of the Royal Mail Group. However, in addition and prompted by this thread, Simon has decided to arrange a meeting for all those who have commented above and for those others who have experienced postal difficulties in SE1. The meeting will be held within SE1 on either Thursday (evening), Friday (evening) or Saturday (daytime) next week. Details of time and venue will be confirmed via this thread as soon as possible. It would be helpful if those attending could bring details of examples of poor service.

For those who are unable to attend Simon would be grateful if you could provide specific examples either via this thread or by post to him at the House of Commons, SW1A 0AA. If writing it would be interesting to keep a record of the date of posting!

Prompted by this issue Simon and I have agreed that one or both of us will check this site twice a week from now on. Not only do we hope that people's contributions may contribute to improving the local postal service; they have already brought about a new year resolution to open up one further route for hearing what our constituents are concerned about. We hope you will all understand that volume of contributions may influence length and variety of replies!

With kind regards from Simon Hughes MP and from me, Ed James (the person who runs Simon's local constituency office).

Post edited (14 Jan 04 11:28)
Current: 8 of 13

This thread has been closed

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: