Best Place for a guinness?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 22 July 2008 4.09pm
New to SE1 and a big guinness drinker.
Anyone recommend the best place for a decent pint?
Tuesday 22 July 2008 5.23pm
Have had a decent one at The Gladstone on Lant St. There's also The Ring on the corner where Blackfriars Road adjoins The Cut, or the Lord Nelson on Union St, which is better than it looks and does great ice cream.
Tuesday 22 July 2008 7.56pm
The Lord Nelson worth a visit? I've always given it a miss as it looks nothing special.
Tuesday 22 July 2008 8.04pm
It does indeed look nothing special. But the ice cream is amazing - made by a lady originally from Venice who lives next door.
Tuesday 22 July 2008 9.18pm
Is there a pub or bar in SE1 that refuses to serve GUINNESS® Draught Extra Cold on a point of principle?

That would presumably be the one to go for.

[However, as I'm still boycotting all Guinness after Diageo's ethical shoddiness [bordering on dishonesty] in getting a certificate of immunity from listing for the Park Royal brewery buildings by claiming it was essential to protect local employment and then closing the brewery, I've not been actively looking for well-kept Guinness in the last year or so.]
Tuesday 22 July 2008 11.54pm
Without a doubt it is at Maeve's in Ballyhooly in County Cork.

Oh I see, you mean in SE1. The Mayflower used to serve a fine Guinness although that was several years ago.
Wednesday 23 July 2008 2.28am
The Rose near Guys doesn't serve 'cold' Guinness. Maybe because quite a few old Irish men drink there & it's next door to Guinness buildings
jw
Wednesday 23 July 2008 6.13am
i'd back the Glad on Lant St
Wednesday 23 July 2008 8.26am
Can i ask if an alcoholic guinness tastes anything like a non-alcoholic malta guinness?? I've been told to up my iron levels and apparantley guinness is v. good for me but the malta stuff is not easy on my palate so might go for the stronger stuff :O)
Wednesday 23 July 2008 11.04am
@LR - are you also boycotting all other Diageo products?! they do make a heckuva lot of stuff you know. I went for a job there once, at the offices just north of Oxford st, and the office bar was incredibly well stocked.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: