Running/jogging in SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 23 July 2008 12.14am
I've just moved to the area (just off bermondsey street), and am trying to figure out some feasible running routes... preferably riverside... but am afraid I will be help up by dense population of people that always seem to be present in our postcode!
Any suggestions of fairly hassle-free routes to have a quick half-hour / hour long daily jog?
Wednesday 23 July 2008 9.24am
This website gives you routes for walking and has a 'less busy' route option. Equally useful for running!

If you head eastwards along the river past Shad Thames it is a lot quieter though there are a lot of different streets to figure out to stay close to the river. North side of the river is quiet and very easy to follow from St Katherines Dock all the way west to ... Chelsea! Southwark bridge is never busy. I sometimes do a circuit through back streets on the South Bank - Southwark bridge - North bank riverside - Tower Bridge.

Grange Park and Southwark Park are also not that far away.
Wednesday 23 July 2008 2.01pm
Running on the southbank in the summer is almost impossible so I'd avoid it until the weather gets a bit cooler and the tourists leave.

My favourite running route is to go north over Tower Bridge and then east along the Thames. This route is really good as it's flat, never crowded and means you don't have to cross any roads.

I'm not sure how far you're planning on going but you can then go along the canals once you hit Limehouse basin. The Regents Canal will take you up to Victoria Park, which is great for running round.
Wednesday 23 July 2008 2.21pm
If you get out early enough the riverside is virtually empty, i usually go around 6:20am and it's a pleasure to run down by tower bridge, up towards bankside.
Wednesday 23 July 2008 3.00pm
Agree with Zac that running east from Tower Bridge avoids crowds and is very atmospheric.

For the distance you're looking at, also consider running east on south side of Tower Bridge along river to St Mary's Rotherhithe (hello SE16!), loop back into King's Stairs Gardens, cross Jamaica Road to run around Southwark Park - then retrace steps to the river again.

Pretty much all river or green run with plenty of space!
Wednesday 23 July 2008 9.17pm
Awesome, thanks for all the advice, shall be giving these a try tomorrow!
Wednesday 23 July 2008 9.37pm
Sounds great v- looking for a similar suggestion for 30 min run but closer towards Oxo tower that will avoid crowds? Maybe the advice of going north of the river is best?
Wednesday 23 July 2008 11.01pm
Don't forget in SE1 we're not far from the parks - a short run can take you round or through St James', a medium run takes in Green Park, and a long run (10m round trip for me) takes in Hyde Park. The river's nice to run along, but the park are more runner friendly.
Wednesday 23 July 2008 11.31pm
Hi, as a keen runner and hater of crowded running routes I'd recommend the following route, from Bermondsey St onto Bermondsey Wall, Rotherhithe St, Redriff Rd, Lower St, Jamaica Rd , Abbey St back to Bermondsey St. 9.5 km and a very pleasant route although the lack of gradients makes it deceptively straightforward.
Thursday 24 July 2008 1.41pm
Not a jogging route as such, but I really enjoy doing circuits of the running track in the Spa Gardens. By setting myself X number of laps and altering my speed for each lap, I get a really good workout. It also seems to be slightly easier on the knees than tarmac.

My housemate really rates Southwark Park though which is says is really underused and beautiful...
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: