shopping monoculture

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 1 of 8
Monday 1 December 2003 6.02pm
I live near the northern end of the Old Kent Rd and I am quite amazed at the number of electronics shops and 'send money abroad' places that are springing up within about a 100 metre radius.

I have no problem with the nature of these businesses. But I do object to so many of the same kind of shop in a small area, when the area badly needs other amenities and also a little stability. With so much direct local competition, many of these shops will fail, thus adding to the sense of urban blight in the area.

Does anyone know who to contact at Southwark Council about this?
It seems so obviously like a case of appalling town planning and I thought that was going out of fashion in trendy Southwark, but obviously not.
Monday 1 December 2003 6.20pm
Yes it's weird isn't it? You'd think we could lobby southwark to get a Prada shop and a Bentley showroom to open up.

try this link

www.howdoigetposhshopstoopeninareasthatdontneedthem.com

Post edited (01 Dec 03 18:21)

Show a man how to make fire and he will be warm for hours, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Monday 1 December 2003 6.35pm
lol lol lol! this is sooo funny. well done, biscuit boy. though I wouldn't mind another supermarket in the area.
Monday 1 December 2003 7.24pm
That was not at all what I was talking about. We really need basics like a bakery, a place to send/receive faxes and a bank. Not 5 shops all doing the same thing right next to each other.
Monday 1 December 2003 8.27pm
I've got a feeling that most of the send money abroad and electronics shops would send and receive faxes for you.

Have you thought about why there is no bakery? maybe because there isn't the market for it, mainly because people in this country tend make their food choices by price rather than quality. This is why the supermarkets do so bloody well and can afford to shovel cash into Jamie 'fat tongue' Oliver's bank account.
Monday 1 December 2003 9.25pm
Agree that we need more 'proper' shops selling necessities (like cake). However, Southwark's Planning Dept or Committee cannot legally say what sort of shops open, except in premises Council owns. All Planning can do is decide whether premises shpuld be a shop or can be a bank, estate agents etc, or a restaurant. These count as separate 'use classes' in planning law & Council can stop a retail shop turning into a restaurant or estate agent. But it can't dictate what sort of shop, even if there are lots of the same sort . I'm afraid it's a matter of supply & demand. All we can do is contact Greggs, or whoever we would like, & tell them that if they come here we will all spend lots of money in their shop. Council can certainly try to encourage, but that's the limit of their powers if they don't own the shop unit. Sorry to be depressing, but that's the way it is.
Monday 1 December 2003 10.05pm

There are not only too many "money shops" about - (why can't they use banks) and why do they send their money out of the country anyway? I wonder how much gets sent out of the country - it can't help our economy - can it? And what about the number of hairdressers and take-aways. Oh, and then there are the Nail Bars! It seems that this is all that "new" Bermondsey people want.

They said we were a nation of shopkeepers but I think this is taking it too far! HOW do they all make a living?
Tuesday 2 December 2003 8.42am
The whole area will hopefully change over time.

At the moment there is a large immigrant community that is catered for by these 'send money home shops' etc.... As the areas change then so will the shops available. For example Tower Bridge Road also has more than it's fair share of 'send money home' shops but as new developments spring up like the jam factory etc then so does the cultural fabric of the area and a different demand is created and hopefully catered for.

Hopefully the council are farsighted enough to recognise this when looking at applications for change of use and issuing licences.
jan
Tuesday 2 December 2003 8.52am
Teresa I think the advantage for some people who use the Western Union or similar send money home shopsm is that the money they are sending home is perhaps illegally obtained, or the sender is on some sort of benefit and therefore not able to show money transactions on their bank statements?

Some of the recipients may not have banks they can use in really rural areas. When I sent money abroad via Western Union a few years ago it cost about 20 on top of money sent; so small transactions were not feasible.

Teresa, we had a bakers in our street once......good ole days i know :-)
Tuesday 2 December 2003 9.39am
Teresa,

Who are "they"?

And why can't "they" do what "they" like with their money?

Can "we" do what we like with our money, or is there some law forcing us all to only spend our money on UK-spourced goods?

Do you ever buy imported food, TVs, cars, electricity (which, I believe in come instances can come from abroad), etc?

Maybe you should be careful that "they" don't cotton on to the fact that you're living in "their" area and shunning their shops. "They might not like it.

...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next
Current: 1 of 8

This thread has been closed

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: