Dramatic increase in water pressure

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 25 July 2008 5.15pm
Last saturday the water pressure increased dramatically after Newcomen Street was switched over to the newly laid pipes. I assume it's because the new pipes are of a smaller diameter thus increasing the pressure.
If I turn on the cold tap fully now it comes out like Niagra Falls. Bounces off the sink and hits the ceiling.
A neighbour called me in because she couldn't turn off one of her taps as the higher pressure had distorted the tap washer. I just turned her water off and told her to call a plumber. Got to be so careful nowadays. If I had gone and got a washer and done the job and later she had a flood I might have been sued.
If your water pressure has increased it's a good idea to check under the sink and behind the bath panel for any leaks.
Friday 25 July 2008 6.31pm
Love the pic Phoney!!!!
Friday 25 July 2008 6.44pm
>>I assume it's because the new pipes are of a smaller diameter thus increasing the pressure.

I'm sure you meant to write bigger!
Friday 25 July 2008 8.34pm
Actually, this is a good point. According to Bernoulli's principle of Hydrodynamics, the faster liquid travels through a constriction, such as a narrower pipe, the pressure decreases, but this is only at the place of restriction.
I don't think it would have any bearing of the pressure at a tap at the end of the pipe, although I am open to correction.
I would think that the reason there is a lot more pressure at the tap is that with the new pipes, more water is actually being delivered and less is lost in leakage. It is possible the water company deliberately reduced the water pressure previously to stop so much being lost.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: