Home composting?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Saturday 26 July 2008 5.27pm
I live in a flat with no balcony or deck, but would like to do something with vegetable trimmings and scraps (other than install a disposal unit in the sink--it's a rental). I see the council has composting and wormery units available, but they seem to be for outside spaces. Has anyone had experience with doing something similar inside? Or is there somewhere I can "contribute" material to a composting effort?
Saturday 26 July 2008 6.39pm
I'd be wary of home composting. I have friends who are a little less enthusiastic these days, given the flies they attract. Despite the filter to prevent flies from getting in, the lil' baby ones get out!
Saturday 26 July 2008 6.55pm
I definitely don't want to attract flies!
Saturday 26 July 2008 8.28pm
What about the Bankside Open Spaces Trust sites? I imagine a lot of them have compost bins.
Saturday 26 July 2008 9.42pm
reece wrote:
What about the Bankside Open Spaces Trust sites? I imagine a lot of them have compost bins.

Yes, they do. Well, two of the ones that I am involved with do. The Edible Estates project on the corner of Webber and Lancaster Streets, and the Diversity Garden in Library St. But. the Brookwood one (Edible Estates) is only open to volunteers, in that it's not accessible to random folk due to potential vandalism/theft.

I have one of those little green buckets with a tight fixing lid that I take and empty once a week.

If you're not the Waterloo end of SE1, then it's possible Mint St Park has a composting facility but I'm not sure. Best take a wander and see/ask.
Sunday 27 July 2008 3.20am
The bokashi system is perfect for indoors - we've got one we use here in NZ. It's airtight, so no smells, and no flies. You can get them in the UK, too: http://www.bokashibucket.co.uk/
Sunday 27 July 2008 8.52am
Thanks for the suggestion about the bokashi system, which is quite interesting, but I have a very small kitchen and don't have room for two buckets. Also I don't want to have to buy extra material (bokashi bran) to put over the kitchen waste.

I live very near Leathermarket Gardens--I wish they had a compost pile or bin but I haven't seen one. I'll keep an eye out when I pass other parks.
Sunday 27 July 2008 9.39am
THE SIGNS OF A UNSUCCESSFUL FERMENTATION

Smell: A strong rancid or rotten smell indicates the process has failed.
Visual: The presence of maggots or black or blue-green fungi indicates that contamination has occurred and the process has not fermented but putrefied.

Thanks for that. Thought I'd follow the link whilst eating my breakfast.
Sunday 27 July 2008 2.05pm
I'm just about to move and intend to purchase both a Bokashi system and wormery. We're fortunate to have some outside space where the wormery will go, but the Bokashi will probably have to go in the kitchen. I figure that the Bokashi bran is a small price to pay for being able to home-compost.

However, if your kitchen is really too small for the extra equipment, I wonder whether there is anybody local to where you live that has a private compost heap that they wouldn't mind you using...?

Does Southwark offer recycling for green waste yet?
Sunday 27 July 2008 3.30pm
I don't know (maybe someone else does?). Our building, with a dozen flats and two offices, has only one small bin for recycling, which is always full. My fellow flat dwellers don't seem to have cottoned on to the idea of flattening boxes before putting them in the bin. But it's only for paper, bottles, etc. There is no common garden or anything that would create lawn clippings and the like.

I must say I was spoiled in San Francisco, where we could just put any kind of plastic, paper, metal, etc. in the bin, as the state-of-the-art recycling machinery separates it. I was tossing everything into recycling here until I read that you can't put certain types of plastic and other things into it.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: