Simon The Tanner Pub sold again

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 1 of 10
Saturday 26 July 2008 6.45pm
Simon the Tanner Pub has been sold on by the developer that had his planning permission turned down to another developer, Acorn Properties! Apparently they plan to rework and resubmit the planning application and then sell it on with planning consent for £900k. It was, until recently, on the market for £690k so they're trying to make a fair old profit for very little work. In the mean time it will continue to sit there rotting even though it's supposed to be protected by it's Grade II status and the fact that it's in a conservation area. Why can't developers realise that the last thing this country needs is more expensive, postage stamp flats? In this current credit crunch, even with planning consent, you can guarantee they won't touch it til the market picks up again. What if they don't get planning permission, will they leave it to rot some more until the only choice for it is demolition?

The sad thing is that there was someone interested in buying it at the £690k, doing it up and running it as a good independent local pub whilst living above it. Unfortunately they won't be able to afford to buy it and do it up at £900k!

When will these greedy developers learn what a community really wants?
Saturday 26 July 2008 7.00pm
Ironically I've just found another plot of locally Bermondsey property being sold with planning consent for 9 duplex flats! Here's the ad:

6/ BERMONDSEY, SE1 - Within short walking distance of Borough underground station and local caf√©s, bars and restaurants this prime site is for sale with full planning consent to develop 9 x ‚Äėfunky' 2-bedroom duplex's (all with terraces!) on the 3rd and 4th floors of an existing 2 storey office building. Proposed development of over 8000 sq.ft.

It'll be a shame to see Simon the Tanner turned into this kind of thing too!
Saturday 26 July 2008 8.21pm
You seem to know to much about the development. Are you an interested party?
Saturday 26 July 2008 11.05pm
Simon the Tanner seems to have the kiss of death upon it....no one ever gets it up and running which is a shame.
Sunday 27 July 2008 12.42am
No, but I know one. Plus I'm just interested in seeing pubs in good areas successful rather than being converted like the ship. Also, have you noticed how any town you go to in the South East is inundated with overpriced flats and a severe lack of real housing? It's a joke!
Sunday 27 July 2008 8.44am
well for many people a small-ish flat near the centre of town is actually "real housing". what do you mean by "real housing"? its all about supply and demand, when demand for 1/2 bed apartments drops developers will be forced to either drop prices or scale down the number of developments. as for the pub, if it could be a going concern it wouldnt have been left empty and neglected for so long... pubs are shutting all over the country not just in se1
Sunday 27 July 2008 9.40am
I agree that 1 -2 bed flats have their market. But I@ve been seriously worried that, as a result of all these new developments squashing in the maximum units, with tiny rooms and no kitchen space to speak of, we will have no families left in central London. No one with anything more than a toddler can really raise a family in a flat so small. We are busy thinking about schools and playgrounds and so on, but soon there will be no one left in the area who needs them.
Sunday 27 July 2008 9.50pm
Pokey little flats are all very well and good in the short term for young singles and couples, but no one wants to live in one for ever and there is a desperate shortage of houses, partly because alot have been converted into flats or HMO rentals. It's not just a simple soloution of moving out to the commuter belt home counties as it's exactly the same, if not worse (it seems a lot of new build flats in the home counties are being sold as retirement flats). Alot of these flats are well over priced for what they are too, even with the housing market slowly falling with the recession we're entering. BTW the main demand for 1 - 2 bedroom flats comes from them being the only realistic affordable option to a first time buyer.

As for pubs closing all over the country - yes that is true, but this an SE1 forum and Simon The Tanner is in SE1. That's why I chose to talk about it here.
Monday 28 July 2008 8.36am
Mystery X are you sure your facts are correct? it has been on the market for £900k and Acorn properties were one of the many parties acting as agents trying to sell it, The price has been dropped to £690k as was not selling and it is still on the market with Fleuerts and Greenes-i checked this morning - for £690k. There are people in the pub now and they have been giving it a good clear out which would indicate trying to sell rather than going for planning permission? Given the last set of plans were for 3 small flats and a lock up bar I doubt the profit margin would be there for a developer to do the work and try to sell on in the present climate. It will be difficult as well to sell for development as it is a listed bulding in a conservation area with 2 recent planning application refusals.
Monday 28 July 2008 10.31am
I'm very interested in what happens to Simon The Tanner as I live next door. When I first moved here it was still a pub serving decent food. Unfortunately it is a bit too far off the beaten track to be successful and so - the rest is history. I would much rather it be a pub/ restaurant again and I was one who made objections to the 2 recent applications that dee dee mentions. They weren't very well thought out but then how many developments round these parts are? They've been building these new slums for at least the seven years I've been here.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 1 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: