People injecting themselves with drugs in the park

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 28 July 2008 1.24am
Walking my dog in Geraldine Harmsworth Memorial Park I regularly see people apparently injecting themselves with drugs in assorted body parts. They're mostly in the back corner amidst the long grass, where I've also seen needles lying in the grass, but also sometimes in the Peace Garden. The other week my eyes were drawn to someone in the middle of the Peace Garden as they were slapping the back of their hand to draw up a vein, as a lady with a toddler in a pushchair walked past.

The last few times my cousin's walked my dog, he's witnessed the same kind of thing but with the participants half naked, blimey.

I feel a bit puzzled that this is happening in broad daylight in a public place, surely it must be illegal?

Notwithstanding this, and the other thread about the mugging in Tooley Street, I find Elephant a fantastic place to live!

All the best,

Jessica
Monday 28 July 2008 8.01am
That's appalling..the users must be really desperate to shoot up in full public view.

The government should have a re-think about drug users like this.With my knowledge limited to users who have been on the hard stuff since they were 17 and been in and out of various re-hab schemes, had different council flats allocated to them which they instantly sub-let while being on benefit. Perhaps it would make more sense if these sad people could go somewhere a clinic and shoot up to their hearts content, perhaps there are places available like this already?

It can't be right for these people to be doing it in a park where children play and to discard the paraphanalia which could causer great harm to them. and if children see public acceptance of drug addicts they may think it's perfectly normal!

The drug addicts that I know of have been in and out of prison because the desperate need for money, mostly shoplifting so far!
I think if people knew how much these drug recovery schemes were costing the public they would be demanding free drugs for all registered addicts.
I dont know what the answer is Jessica, what did the police say when you told them?
Monday 28 July 2008 12.41pm
Quote:
Perhaps it would make more sense if these sad people could go somewhere a clinic and shoot up to their hearts content, perhaps there are places available like this already?

Indeed it would. With sterile, high quality drugs available FOC on the NHS, rather than poor quality drugs which can kill, and which have to be paid for by breaking into our homes.

Sadly there is no political will for this, as it is described as giving free drugs to druggies - without focussing on the wider benefits.
Monday 28 July 2008 1.35pm
I have to say, it's the one thing that really, really gets me down about living in this area. Drug addicts are everywhere around here - you should try having them arguing with each other in your own doorway!
Monday 28 July 2008 4.17pm
One for your safer neighbourhoods team...

Chaucer Team
Walworth Police Station, 12-28 Manor Place, London
SE17 3BB

020 8721 2441
Monday 28 July 2008 4.43pm
GMH park comes under Cathedral Ward, it's worth emailing them as they do patrol the park, but may need reminding that the area you mentioned gets overlooked! I had a reply from Sgt Steve Dutton who was most helpful.

http://www.met.police.uk/saferneighbourhoods/boroughs/southwark/saferneighbourhoods.htm#00BEGE
Monday 28 July 2008 7.33pm
There is an injectable clinic in Camberwell . Some of these guys maybe in treatment already in other clinics but continue to use on top.
My experience of neighbourhood teams has been good. What it needs is everyone to contact the appropriate agency and not walk on by expecting someone else to do it. The more phone calls they receive = quicker action.
Monday 28 July 2008 10.33pm
Wow, thanks everyone, that's really great information. I've emailed the Cathedrals Safer Neighbourhood Team and we'll see what happens.

In Jan the Old One's post, he asked me what the police had said when I told them, and I thought, blimey, that's a sensible question, but it's never occurred to me to phone the police! It's clearly not a 999 kind of issue, and last time I went to a police station to report something, on a quiet afternoon, I waited for two hours, together with a handful of other people, to be seen, so my motivation to ever go there again is low. These Safer Neighbourhood Teams, and the fact you can email them, seem great.

Thanks everyone!

Jessica
Zoe
Monday 28 July 2008 10.49pm
Hi Jessica,

I also see this a lot when I'm walking my dogs in that section at the back with the long grass.

I've brought it up several times with the Safer Neighbourhood teams as well. It's much worse in winter, when we have to stop going in as soon as darkness falls, it becomes so unplesant.

I'm keen to continue to make a fuss about this, and I aslo think the lighting needs to be radically improved, as it's terrible after dark.
Monday 28 July 2008 11.18pm
We are living amongst the hustle and bustle of The Cut;commuters,tourists and druggies.We called the Police today on four different numbers,hoping that they would send a passing patrol car to help scare off a couple of men who were injecting their legs and using our pavement as a toilet,but not a soul turned up.The men staggered off and now they'll assume that this little patch is safe for them.We did actually see two police cars passing by,but neither of them diverted to help out,although they weren't screeching their sirens in emergency.Nightmare situation here in The Cut sometimes,not helped by Costcutter being open 24hours and selling beer to drinkers who are making a sticky mess of our lovely newly laid paving stones.We are fed up with having to step over vomit,beer,and rather worrying other stains.What's to do ?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: