Grange Road road works

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 29 July 2008 12.00pm
So the road works on Grange Road at the corner of Spa Park / Spa Road has been going on for more than a week now blocking off traffic from 4 directions and impacting the number 1 and number 78 bus route.

Does anybody know when this is due to finish? I go past twice a day and I never see anyone working on the big hole in the street. From my perspective someone has dug a big hole and blocked off the street and then just left it. Am I being unfair? Is anything actually happening here?
Tuesday 29 July 2008 4.44pm

You are unfair, although i have to admit the work is slow. The Zebra is being raised to form a speed table to mark the start of the 20mph zone, and there are two more sets of cushions to go in also.

If you're passing in a bus you are in for some more delays, and if that is the case, ask the driver why he won't keep to the 20mph limit, as speeding buses are part of the issue here, along with speeding motorists too.

Tuesday 29 July 2008 4.52pm
oops, that link that i put in, I though would include the 'Grange Road' bit, so if you use it you have to type that in, and you'll see that it's BT (apparently)... ?
Tuesday 29 July 2008 5.46pm
I think it finished tonight! The power of this website perhaps?
Tuesday 29 July 2008 5.54pm
I'm confused: which bit of Grange Road is 20mph? Also if I'm reading the signs correctly, it looks like Bacon Grove is 30 mph, which is mad! It's a tiny little road which is a cul de sac, and the traffic can go faster down there than in the main road?

I pass by several times a day and there does indeed seem to be very little going on, though the cafe is doing a roaring trade.
Tuesday 29 July 2008 7.23pm
just going back to Bill.O's point, i make at least 2 or 3 bus journies a day on the number 1, and never have i experienced one "speeding" down grange road, but i agree that many cars and motor bikes are definitely speeding. as for the roadworkers, hmm, well, if i happen to notice any they usually have a cigarette in their hand and are standing staring at any woman walking past. i welcome traffic calming on grange road and hope it has finished.
Wednesday 30 July 2008 12.44am
Traffic now flowing in both directions again, however plastic barriers and other roadworks paraphernalia still there. Won't be long before local feral youth find alternative uses for these.

As to the work they've done, they just put down knobbly paving stones at the crossing. What was the big hole for? Why did it take over a week?
Wednesday 30 July 2008 7.58am
Cycliing along Grange Road feels unpleasant and unsafe - both due to the speeding people and all the traffic calming measures which make those people have to swerve in towards you. I thought there was a consultation out about some super new protected cycle lane just outside the school/dual carriage way bit?

The whole of Grange Road/Southwark Park seems an exercise in crap road/town planning - e.g. 20mph zones finishing just by a school - the bus lane going west to Tower Bridge Road - the destruction of the vibrant street market (the Blue) in the 70s?- the modernisation of Thorburn Square in the 60s?... Still love living in this part of se1 though.

Rant over - I need to wait for my first coffee of the day to kick in...
Wednesday 30 July 2008 10.07am
Auntie Pat - Grange Road is a 20mph zone from the junction with TBR to just before Bermondsey Spa Park, when it reverts to 30mph. Roads off Grange Road are also within the 20mph zone.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: