Demolition of Antiques Market Buildings (241-253 Long Lane)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Tuesday 29 July 2008 12.37pm
Does anyone know anything about the demolition works going on at this site (which also backs onto Bermondsey St)?

I know they had planning permission refused to demolish the buildings (07/AP/0999) but seem to have gone ahead anyhow

The contractors on site have pulled down a whole building today and seemed to be setting fire to roofs either yesterday or last week

It has been reported to the council enforcement team, who should be visiting today

Thanks for any information you might have
Tuesday 29 July 2008 4.32pm
Hi - I live at 239 Long Lane. A developer has sent letters out saying work is to be started on a new build on our car park entrance, which is actually on Bermondsay Street, directly behind the building to which you are referring. It makes sense if the land it stands on will also be included too.

The work actually started a few months ago without any notification, so our residents committee had it stopped via a solicitor as it would block the entrance to our underground car park. It was agreed that they would leave ample room for us to drive down in to the garage, once the building was finished. They have made arrangement for us to drive in to the car park, via the current exit on Long Lane…if that makes sense.

That's all I have off the tope of my head, but if you need more, then email me and I will dig out what I can when I get home. At the very least, I can you the name of the developer.

Tuesday 29 July 2008 8.54pm
What exactly have they been given permission to do then?
Wednesday 30 July 2008 9.44am
Hi the development that is happening at the old market is nothing to do with the development on the car park site. Commodore development had no idea that this other company was using their land.

It is shocking that in a conversation area buildings can be knocked down without permission and without anyone doing anything about it, including the council.

Their workmen are rude and have been blocking the driveway to Tanners Yard. They also started working at 7.30am this morning.

Does anyone know who the developers are? I have heard rumors that they are Acorn development?
Wednesday 30 July 2008 9.53am

They don't actually have permission for any of the works they are currently carrying out
Wednesday 30 July 2008 10.24am
Wow - so the guys who are doing the demolition are unrelated to Commodore who will be building the new building in the space next to Bermondsey Kitchen? That is incredible. My flat overlooks the site so I watched with astonishment yesterday as the JCB bloke attacked the old buildings.

So far as I can tell from the Southwark Council website, only the buildings on the very bottom end of that part of Bermondsey Street, and the small building right next to Tanners Yard, are buildings of interest under the Southwark development policy. The rest of that small plot of buildings is presumably up for grabs from a development point of view, but I agree that you would hope the council would make some kind of effort if an illegal demolition was occurring. What next? Could some other team just move in and start demolishing the Recall site?

New to site, so hi to everyone, etc.
Thursday 31 July 2008 10.24am
Don't get it. If they are working without permission, doesn't the council have any powers to stop them, request police intervention and/or fine the developer behind it? Otherwise, what's the point of applying to the Council for building planning permissions?
Thursday 31 July 2008 11.06am
Presumably the developers are taking a calculated risk that (a) the Council won't stop them and any fine will be small and (b) they'll get permission to put up replacment buildings soon so are saving time by knocking down the old ones now.

Not good.
Thursday 31 July 2008 1.54pm
The developers are Acorn Homes! Nothing on their site about the development but do check out their ethics, it's a laugh given what they have done this week.
Thursday 31 July 2008 2.11pm
For heaven's sake, has no one rung the Council? This is outrageous.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: