Scammer, Long Lane area

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Tuesday 29 July 2008 11.32pm
I was approached the other night by a guy who claimed he was called Ali and owned a local dry cleaners (Principles on Crosby Row). He asked me to lend him 35 to get his car unclamped, and told me he'd give the money back when he opened his shop up the following day. As I know the people who run Principles, I recognized this as bogus. However, I've since spoken to the guys at Principles and it transpires this character has tried this scam on eight or nine people over the last few months. Beware!
Tuesday 29 July 2008 11.45pm
Yes, similar scam going on around Queen Elizabeth Street - guy asked me for some cash to free his clamped van full of food. Said he was a chef at the Bengal Clipper - he would give me my money back at the Clipper and free meals. Any stranger who asked you for cash (missed my last train, need to free my van, etc.) walk away.
Wednesday 30 July 2008 3.55pm
I was tackled by a girl of about 20 outside Waterloo station late one evening last month. She was in floods of tears, had been kicked out by her boyfriend and wanted a tenner to get the train home to Sevenoaks.

Being suspicious by nature, but not impervious to sob stories, I had a word with her for a couple of minutes. She rapidly ceased being upset as we talked, but her perfectly placed tears continued to surround her eyes. I concluded that the "tears" were makeup and sent her on her way - at which point she swore at me for being uncaring.
Wednesday 30 July 2008 4.43pm
People only ever ask me for 50p or 1... I thought I was quite well-dressed but there you go!
Wednesday 30 July 2008 7.23pm
I was once asked for 400 "for petrol" by a man in a Mini who claimed he knew me from my (non-existent) days as an Ibiza "face". But that was in W11, where, I suppose, there lurk a few Nathan Barleys willing to part with 400 in return for the buzz of being mistaken for someone cool. I didn't cough up. But the chap I bumped into on Tennis Street the other evening has apparently had quite a bit of success with his spiel.
Wednesday 30 July 2008 11.21pm
I guess that the tearful lady who so briefly touched Longlaner's big softy heart was something to do with our huge drug problem around this area. Perhaps "Sevenoaks "is an secret code word for a hard-line drug and she is trying to get her boyfriend on to them ? This young lady has gone up market,she is usually around asking for the price of a cup of tea,no doubt hoping that you'll give her an even amount to add a drop of cocaine to the cup (or ought I now to refer to it as "Sevenoaks"in a conspiratorial whisper ?)
mac
Thursday 31 July 2008 11.20am
Strangely enough, I was stopped outside Waterloo station last year by a young woman who claimed to have been mugged and needed 7 I think it was to get back to Sevenoaks! I was quite taken in at first - she was quite an actress - and offered to call the police but (obviously) she said no, she just wanted to get home. I became suspicious and refused at which point she tutted and stormed off. What with the rising cost of train travel the fare to Sevenoakes must have gone up for 7 to 10!
Friday 1 August 2008 10.58am
Colinio, I just don't bother stopping for those who are so cheap.
Friday 1 August 2008 11.09am
Hundreds of years ago, when I lived in Battersea, I was asked by a gentleman of the road for, "sixpence for a cup of tea, govenor". I duly obliged and he said, "Coffee's a shillin'"
Tuesday 5 August 2008 3.06pm
longlaner wrote:
I was approached the other night by a guy who claimed he was called Ali and owned a local dry cleaners (Principles on Crosby Row). He asked me to lend him 35 to get his car unclamped, and told me he'd give the money back when he opened his shop up the following day. As I know the people who run Principles, I recognized this as bogus. However, I've since spoken to the guys at Principles and it transpires this character has tried this scam on eight or nine people over the last few months. Beware!

You should report this to the police. They'll probably know who it is anyhow...
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: