Dangerous trees

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Wednesday 30 July 2008 7.16am
Bearing in mind that awful tragic death of a young girl a few months ago when a bus went into a heavy branch sticking out in Tower bridge road, it was so reassuring to see a notice stuck up in Jamaica road warning drivers of low trees..

There are two massive trees overhanging jamaica road, or rather leaning at a scarey angle near the bus stop near Lupin point. Seeing as no one knows the cause of the tower bridge road tree keeling over, whether london plane trees have a definitive life span or not I don't know, but surely instead of sticking silly little notices up warning bus drivers would it not make more sense to lop or chop the two which are causing all the pavement to lift? or are tfl or who ever is responsible for maintaining trees on a public thoroughfare going to wait for another tragedy? The bustop nearby always has schoolchildren using it...
Wednesday 30 July 2008 9.46am
Absolutely not.

Trees are a part of the rich tapestry of city life; take them away and London would be a much less attractive place. Is it really too much to ask that bus drivers don't drive into trees? Poor trees; think of their feelings.
Wednesday 30 July 2008 9.57am
I used to HUG-A-TREE every day, but gave up when I got splinters and dutch elm...:-)
Wednesday 30 July 2008 11.40am
In Norwich they (the council) removed a whole streets worth of very old horse chestnut trees because they were concerned that they would be sued if a conker landed on someones head and caused concusion! Now that's crazy - signs on trees are better than replacing the tree with a new one. Bus drivers should take more care.
Wednesday 30 July 2008 1.18pm
JonR wrote:
Bus drivers should take more care.

Couldn't agree more. Last night the bus driver of the 188 (why is it always the 188?) I was on didn't stop at the Old Vic even though I rang the bell. When I went to remonstrate with him, he was wearing earphones and singing to himself! No wonder he didn't hear the bell!

In retrospect, and if I hadn't been so furious, I should have taken his number and reported him.

Oh, he did apologise but still wouldn't stop until he got to St. George's Circus. Grrrrrrrrrr
Wednesday 30 July 2008 1.36pm
But JonR I really love trees..and have planted a few in my time, the tower bridge road incident the branch was sticking out too far and pierced the top deck...:-( the bus did not mount the pavement!
Wednesday 30 July 2008 2.21pm
Jan the old one wrote:
But JonR I really love trees..and have planted a few in my time, the tower bridge road incident the branch was sticking out too far and pierced the top deck...:-( the bus did not mount the pavement!

If the bus had managed to get by several times every day without having its top deck pierced, I can't imagine how on one occasion when the tree gets hit it's the tree's, rather than the driver's, fault.
Wednesday 30 July 2008 2.42pm
reeceseveral times every day without having its top deck pierced,[/quote wrote:

Several times each hour. 120 times a day, 40,000 times per annum. "It just jumped out and hit me, your honour."
Thursday 31 July 2008 6.29am
All it takes is for the wind to blow and the branch would move Reece..:-) Rock abye baby in the tree top, when the wind blows the etc...
and MapMaker stop making me laugh...it's not allowed for staff to stifle a giggle here..

out of idle curiosity anyway, how long does a london plane tree live for?
Thursday 31 July 2008 8.52am
Its not a case of asking them to be removed, they need to cut them back and make them less dangerous. Tower Bridge Road is still the same, even though that poor girl was killed. Are they waiting for it to happen again before they doing anything about it?
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: