Tower Bridge Road this afternoon

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 30 July 2008 5.59pm
Does anyone know what happened on Tower Bridge Road (near Bermondsey Square) this afternoon? I went by and it was blocked off?

Thanks
Wednesday 30 July 2008 6.14pm
Moped rider killed by a big lorry. Didn't see it but heard someone talking about it who witnessed the accident. Police still have the road shut between Abbey Street and Decima Street - taking photos of the road and vehicles etc
Wednesday 30 July 2008 6.14pm
TfL Buses Incident Response unit present. About 8 police cars attending. Big red artic truck parked on east side pavement. Blue police tent over the central reservation. TBR closed from Abbey Street to Grange Road. No ambulances present by the time I passed.

It looks like a traffic accident, maybe with a pedestrian or cyclist? I do hope it wasn't fatal.

It's a popular but nasty place to cross the road - I saw a pedestrian nearly hit by a red light jumper about a week ago. Really does need some kind of a pedestrian crossing between Long Walk and Grange Walk. Especially with all the Sainsbury traffic expected soon.

Z
Wednesday 30 July 2008 7.01pm
i saw the road closure and all the police. this is terrible. only a few hours earlier (about 1.50pm) there was an RTA involving a lorry and a car in the same spot - they blocked the southbound traffic having stopped to sort it out, i don't think anybody was hurt there, just a slightly damaged vehicle but the police were called to calm things down. i think sometimes drivers pull away fast from the lights at the junction of abbey street, only to have to slow sharply again for the lights at grange road junction, and then some pulling a fast left on the left slip to grange road. i wish all drivers would take more care on our busy congested roads. two accidents in virtually the same spot on the same day.
Wednesday 30 July 2008 9.33pm
There was a blue forensic tent as I went by late afternoon and sadly saw a red blanket covering something as I headed back a couple of hours later which said it all for me.

It is a terrible crossing and don't know why the council have never put up pedestrian lights.

Some local delivery boys heard a rather grisly rumour but I couldn't believe it was true. Either way your heart has to go out to the people that poor person left behind.
Thursday 31 July 2008 12.16pm
My partner was on the 188 bus when it happened and I can confirm that a person (possibly female) was involved in a moped accident. He witnessed the person lying in the road, not looking in a good way. Unfortunately it would appear the accident was fatal.
Thursday 31 July 2008 1.45pm
Thats an accident black spot, my daughter always drives down tower bd.rd. swings into bermondsey street, turns right into , then cross lights to abbey street that way.

Two accidents on day and one fatal..how heartbreaking.
Thursday 31 July 2008 3.53pm
it's a red route so the Highway agency responsible is TfL - they should already be aware that it's a problem but it wouldn't hurt to contact them and complain / suggest a pedestrian crossing / better junction.

I used to work for the company that used to do the maintenance for that road, and it was noted then that there wasn't a pedestrian crossing. Unfortunately I don't know who won the new contract for South Central London.

[edit] The company working on behalf of TfL for the Central London area of Red Routes, which covers TBR, is Ringway Jacobs, based in

Harling House
47-51 Great Suffolk Street,
Southwark,
London
SE1 0BS

Tel: 020 7960 4040
Fax: 020 7960 4051

[/edit]

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network