British Gas

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 30 July 2008 11.04pm
I am still in contract with them, the price rise just went up, can I still change?
Thursday 31 July 2008 7.54am
I want to know if i give them a reading today what price would i be charged..
Anyone who has small children at home all day in the winter will never be able to afford the bill.
scandalous price hike.
Thursday 31 July 2008 9.50am
there are people complaining about fuel prices going up. This is however, inevitable, and people shouldn't complain about it, they should be thinking about how to use less of it. There are lots of ways of making more efficient use of the energy we use. Turning appliances off at the plug when not used is a huge one, getting better insulation, getting more efficient appliances. However the easiest one is to make the average temperature inside one degree cooler in winter, and one degree warmer in summer. That may sound confusing, but if you only heat your house to 20 degrees instead of 21 in winter you'll save money, and if you only cool your house down to, say 23 instead of 24, then you'll save money on aircon.

The average inside house temperature 80 years ago was 13 deg. now it's risen to nearly 20. You don't need a warm house - if you're cold, put a cardigan on.

in answer to the original post - If you're still in a contract (12 months or whatever) there will be a fee to leave or break this, however, if you decide to change supplier to one which you have decided will be better for you, they might be willing to pay the leaving fee for you, but it's not obligatory that they do. If you can't find a company who'll pay the leaving fee for you, wait till the end of contract then get out to someone cheaper as soon as.

To Jan - as far as i'm aware BG said that the price rise will take emediate effect, so presumably as of midnight just gone.
Thursday 31 July 2008 10.13am
I never get cold thankfully, can't stand the noise of electric fans, would rather be outside in the weeds feste (garden!) i steep my clothes first in cold water then just rinse and spin them, unless its towels or sheets, very rarely do we use the washine machine, my vice is the tumble dryer for twenty minutes to save ironing!
I never leave things on standby either.

If I'm on my own I watch telly with the lights off, or read with lights on and telly off. The only trouble with that is having had an attempted break-in ,would be burglars think they are breaking into a empty house.
Thursday 31 July 2008 11.00am
JonR wrote:
There are lots of ways of making more efficient use of the energy we use. Turning appliances off at the plug when not used is a huge one, getting better insulation, getting more efficient appliances.

You know what would help? Forcing landlords to be helpful when tenants want to make their rented properties more energy efficient!

My immersion heater doesn't have a timer facility, so if I want hot water in the morning I either have to dash home and put it on for the evening and turn it off when I go to bed, or leave it on overnight.

I've twice offered to go halves with my landlord on the cost of installing a timer switch, but so far, no progress.
Thursday 31 July 2008 11.05am
Have a look at this article:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity

I'm personally not capping as I have a good deal with E.on, but may be worth considering.

For those who don't know about Quidco, you can get cashback when switching your supplier which can help defray the costs.

No connection, etc.

Chris
Thursday 31 July 2008 2.54pm
JonR wrote:
there are people complaining about fuel prices going up. This is however, inevitable, and people shouldn't complain about it, they should be
thinking about how to use less of it.

JonR wrote:
The average inside house temperature 80 years ago was 13 deg. now it's risen to nearly 20. You don't need a warm house - if you're cold, put a cardigan on.

A lot easier said than done. I can't improve the thermal efficiency of my flat by 30% every year when fuel prices rise by the same amount - I'd be living in a tiny cube by now, breathing recycled air. Thermal insulation is extremely expensive and can take decades to recoup depending on the building.

The temperature suggestion is too simplistic. How many times do can we keep decreasing the temperature by a degree? 5 years in a row and we're living in inhospitable abodes. We may as well move back into caves in 10 years. How many old folks do you know who can survive in 13 degrees? Have you actually tried?

The answer isn't energy conservation - that's going to do SFA in the medium to long term. The key to maintaining our standards of living is getting cheaper (and cleaner) energy. By my estimates, it turns out that a 100% efficient 125km2 grid of solar panels will provide pretty much all of the energy the world is currently using. So we just need to improve solar panel efficiency from 20% to 100%.
Thursday 31 July 2008 8.25pm
British Gas is only the 2nd major supplier to hike prices. Wait until the other companies show their hand before deciding which way to go. I suspect a price war will ensue soon, perhaps the companies who can fix prices for the longest might be the ones to go for.

I do agree though that we should be thinking about ways of using less energy rather than paying more for it and yes it is easier said than done, those of us who lived through the 70's, the 3 day week and regular blackouts may have some top tips!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: