Motorbike noise

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 30 July 2008 11.46pm
Have you noticed how bad the noise from some motorbikes has become? Every morning some idiot roars along The Cut around 6.30am,then goes up Union Street and perhaps on towards Hell.It's not just a loud noise,this is horrendous.You can't cover up the cacophony ,you have to endure it.There are many other occasions too when we're having to stop talking until other menaces have passed on by.It's mainly due to the congestion charge encouraging people to get on their bikes,but do they have to be so anti-social and downright selfish about it? Just a soft little "phut-phut" whisper would be ideal.Ha ! In my dreams !
What makes it far worse is the addition of police cars and Ambulances suddenly putting their sirens on as they also come along The Cut.It's like living on the main street in Beirut here.
Thursday 31 July 2008 9.51am
I feel your pain, SandyPandy! I live on Tower Bridge Road, and the noise pollution is awful - there are about three sets of traffic lights within 100m of my flat in various directions, so there is constant traffic with all the horn beeping, screeching brakes and shouting that goes with it. It's the summer dilemma - boil in my flat with the windows closed or have the windows open and get no sleep?

The frequent sirens at 3am are not a nice way to be woken up either, but that's what I get for living 10 minutes from a hospital I suppose!
Thursday 31 July 2008 11.44am
I dont actually know if there is a noise limit on these guys who take the silencers off their motor bikes in hope of impressing the girls. I seem to remember that there was some sort of restriction on how loud they are allowed to be...maybe just wishful thinking however...
Thursday 31 July 2008 11.52am
There are indeed laws about the noise bikes make. I don't think showing off to girls is the reason some of these guys have loud cans though. Our hearing is 360 degrees, if you hear the bike you are more likely to see it and thus avoid an accident.

At least that is what most bikers will tell you.
Thursday 31 July 2008 12.10pm
Why don't you do something about it?

It's illegal to have exhausts that make a noise above [x - I don't know the figure but you can look it up) decibels. But some naughty bikers like the sound to be very noisy, so they remove the baffles from their exhausts, or get "race" exhausts (which aren't road-legal because they are too loud) and use them on the road.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 31 July 2008 1.00pm
Sandy Pandy are you suggesting that anything east of Borough High Street is 'Hell'?!
Thursday 31 July 2008 1.48pm
Birdie wrote:
There are indeed laws about the noise bikes make. I don't think showing off to girls is the reason some of these guys have loud cans though. Our hearing is 360 degrees, if you hear the bike you are more likely to see it and thus avoid an accident.
At least that is what most bikers will tell you.

They'll tell you all sorts of other cobblers as well. Good riding saves lives.

Loud cans are antisocial, and do a lot of damage to your hearing if you're not wearing earplugs. Next time you get someone telling you "loud cans save lives", ask them if they wear ear plugs. In my experience, the answer is often "No". Earplugs aren't "cool", you see, but loud cans are.

Thursday 31 July 2008 2.13pm
Having bewen a bikers moll for longer than I care to remember I know that many bikers do wear earplugs. I certainly did during thousands of miles riding pillion.

I am not condoning the noise just putting an alternative argument to the reactionaries who always seem to want to do the biker down. In my experience the majority of them are far more accomplished road users than the average man in the street.
Thursday 31 July 2008 2.40pm
I see where you're coming from, Birdie. And I agree with you about bikers in general often being better road users (you've got to be. There's more chance of you having an accident, and more chance of being more hurt, when you're on a bike.)

I'm very pro-biker. (I consider myself to be a biker.) I do think, though, that one of the good ways to reduce anti-biker sentiments is to ride in a way that doesn't get other people's backs up. And one way to do this is not to have overloud exhausts. That's all.

Thursday 31 July 2008 7.03pm
pepperstreet...no way ! My biker nemesis must be turning left at Southwark Bridge and then on to really annoy Emma23 en route.I'm very fond of Borough,I go shopping,library booking and dining there.Hell definitely isn't there.He possibly goes towards East London,sorted.I looked up the maximum decibels allowed and it seems to be around 80,but what is that in layman's terms? The equivalent of a pneumatic drill boring through steel,1 inch away from an ear? I rather like motorbikes when their owners are sensible and will always remember the magnificent sight of hundreds of Harley Davidsons roaring along the roads along the French Riviera for a convention ,and also their combined sound,but in residential London streets day after day it's sheer torture.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: