Tate Modern - Members Room

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 12
Wednesday 3 December 2003 3.37pm
Is it me being a grump or is this place fast becoming Satan's creche at weekends?

Lots of semi-posh kids whose parents wheel them up there in pushchairs the size of Land Rovers.

Little Jack and Molly run riot while mummy sinks a bottle of Chardonnay.

I suppose that I should be thankful that Chardonnay is something that Mummy drinks, rather than choosing it as a baby name!
Wednesday 3 December 2003 11.26pm
You're right...even Friday night ( when Tate Modern is open till 10) it's chocca. Don't Molly and Jack need to go to bed?

Kevin
Thursday 4 December 2003 9.12am
Ohhh, sounds nice.

How does one join? Is it cheaper than Chelsea Harbour or the Hurlingham, to which I also aspire? It is so important that one's children begin networking at an early age.

Alternatively I might just let them have the remainder of our box of fireworks and a box of matches and send them out into the streets to terrorise the locals.

Can't win really. Parents also get blamed for plonking them in front of the video. Perhaps we should just get out the Monopoly and recognise that life is over once children arrive..
Thursday 4 December 2003 9.56am
Not necessarily, but they shouldn't take their kids to a place like the Tate Members Room where it's an adult environment, there is nothing for the childrent to do. Can't they take them to Pizza Hut or Bella Pasta.

Sometimes it is nice to go up there for a quiet coffee with a friend and not to be confronted with screaming children running riot (sorry, I forget, they are expressing themselves) while mothers are expressing milk. Parents complain that people are not so tolerant of children, but there are those of us who choose not to have kids and have places like the Tate to get away from all that.

Pre-school kids don't want to go to modern art galleries, why not take them somewhere FUN?
Thursday 4 December 2003 10.40am
The toffs have got the right idea: nannies and boarding school. Keep the kids out of everyone's hair...

(Given the recent trend towards throwing around accusations of bigotry at any poster whose posts contain sentiments that do not conform to a white, middle-class, liberal view of the world, may I point out that I am saying this with my tongue very firmly in my cheek?)
Thursday 4 December 2003 10.51am
I agree LMJJ, without my tongue firmly in cheek
I went to boarding school at 3,

cold baths, early morning runs, regular thrashings
Christmas with Nanny

made me the man I am today!
Thursday 4 December 2003 11.59am
please confirm: gender, age, racial / cultural heritage of said nanny.

gggggrrrrrruuff
Thursday 4 December 2003 12.08pm
very old from North Yorkshire
baked lots of cakes and pies
sadly no longer with us
Thursday 4 December 2003 1.26pm
A lapsed Tate member writes...

Are the kids any worse than the over-amorous couples who used to make a point of defying anyone to enter their personal space? If you couldn't get access to one of those tiny tables to balance your funky giant tray with your overpriced tapas on, eating became a performance artform.

I gave up and started meeting people in the Founders Arms for lunch/brunch/drinks
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/restaurants/view.php?venueid=375

(The service also fell apart at the Members Room at Millbank - twenty minutes wait for a not very good cappuchino)
Thursday 4 December 2003 1.39pm
As a result of this, I decided not to renew my membership. It didn't turn out to be the reasonably peaceful haven that I expected. Is nowhere safe from these Baby Boomers?
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 12

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: