Golden Hind

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 15 February 2002 1.20pm
The Golden Hind is up for sale (for approx. 1.25 million) and is very likely to go abroad. The dry dock is quite small and the chances of finding another interesting boat to fill it are apparently slim. It will be missed in Bankside.

Does anyone have strong views about its sale and/or does anyone know what the likelihood is of getting Southwark Council to buy it, or other public bodies to fund it?
Friday 15 February 2002 9.40pm

would be like flogging the family silver....

perhaps something a bit more newer from our nautical history could be a contender? Or perhaps the replica frigate (as used in hornblower) that usually lives at tower bridge dock would be a suitable replacement?

There was talk of bringing a Russian sub up!

Anything but an empty space.

Saturday 16 February 2002 5.01am
Who currently owns it? why are they selling? Where exactly is it located....
ask the geezer who owns 'arrods ro buy it!
Monday 18 February 2002 10.10pm
Its a brilliant place to hold children's parties. Do you know when it is going. I had better book one for my daughter now.
Tuesday 19 February 2002 9.38am
I don't know - it is on the market but hasn't been sold as yet though I gather there is quite a lot of interest - from nobody based in London though.
Tuesday 19 February 2002 11.00am
I work with the Southwark Tour Guides Association and we have taken many groups to the Golden Hind from a number of community groups across Southwark. Work we have done with schools always produces a WOW when the children round the corner and see the ship, it is often the highlight of their walk around the Pool of London or Bankside area.

I like many would be sad to see it go and would suggest the larger banks or financial traders in the area could use some of their profits for the purchase of this wonderful ship and put something back into the community their businesses live and work in.
Tuesday 26 February 2002 7.16pm
may i suggest that we sail the Golden Hind out of the dock onto the river complete with with our Union Flag and the Cross of St George (which southwark council want to ban) flying high would be the skull & crossbones flag flying
proudly between the two. then out side the Tower of london the Golden Hind is set on fire so that she sinks beneath Tower Bridge as she sinks the Millwall Football club choire could sing nobody loves us every body hates us but we dont care!!

a refugee boat to be berthed in her place!!!

RIP Sir Francis Drake
Thursday 4 April 2002 2.00am
i know lots of people have had enjoyable family days out on the olde golden hinde - but it is after all a replica and just another tourist attraction. it replaced a genuine dutch (?) barge which used to be in Mary Overie Dock. Can't say I'll be sorry if it goes, along with most of the other theme-park stylee replicas in Southwark. sorry for being cynical - again!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: