The Libertine

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Wednesday 13 August 2008 3.54pm
I was wondering how many of us have checked out
The Libertine
It is quite a change from 'The Townhouse as it was formerly known, which attracted a fairly old crowd, with sing-alongs at the weekend. It was not my cup of 'rosy lee'.

Anyway, I rather like the new Libertine. Simple decor, stripped back, lots of wood,so it seems bigger than before. There is a comfy loungey area at the back with sofas, and a big space at the front. I was there on Saturday night, and this front space was very lively - with a 20's, 30's bunch dancing away. (Well it was midnight, and there was a good DJ).

I liked the music - covering 4 decades - so Nina Simone would be followed by something 'of the mo'. Very friendly staff - I think being on Great Suffolk Street, away from Borough High Street means that they will be getting locals, not one-time visitors.

Have you been?
Does Great Suffolk Street need this pub?
Will it become the house pub for those new flats on Southwark Bridge Road?
Wednesday 13 August 2008 6.18pm
Sounds fun, though I'm very disappointed not to have had a chance to see the black Elvis who occasionally performed there in its former incarnation.
Thursday 14 August 2008 6.17pm
another local boozer ruined by newcomers,shirts out jeans and no socks and coke on their noses,what a pleasure.
Thursday 14 August 2008 6.35pm
Plenty of local bozzers have been ruined by the old school locals sticking copious amounts of gear up their nostrils & bullying any 'newcomers' who aren't proper Sarf Londun
Thursday 14 August 2008 10.36pm
I like the look of The Libertine more than its predecessor, although the shabby chic look it's rather belatedly adopted is starting too look a bit generic. Haven't I seen those lampshades in The Garrison? And lots of other pubs besides?

By the way, if I moved to this area four years ago, does that still make me a newcomer? I'm dying to know! Someone consult the rules and report back pls.
Friday 15 August 2008 1.29pm
MrsR and I have lived here 7 years, and by some of the comments on here, even though we feel local, we obviously won't ever be local enough for some.
ADT
Friday 15 August 2008 1.29pm
I'll second that. The Townhall never really impressed me, there are plenty of better places around. I'm intending to give the Libertine a try at some point to see if I like it better. Does anyone know what beers they have on - anything interesting?
Friday 15 August 2008 2.22pm
It was busy at lunchtime and they are advertising stone baked pizzas. I'm waiting to see if I get woken up over the weekend by revellers before I make a judgement. BTW I've been here for twenty years and there are still pockets of resistance!
Monday 18 August 2008 8.20am
Deciding who is a newcomer is a key decision. Obviously there needs to be an official cut-off date.

March 2000 is the cut-off date. Anyone who arrived before is officially an old-timer.
Monday 18 August 2008 8.26am
Speaking as an old-timer (Feb 2000), I declare The Libertine to be an improvement over The Townhouse.

Stone-baked pizza is the new Black (Elvis)

Kevin
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: