Walking home at night. Safe?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 14 August 2008 9.32pm
I'm a young professional woman thinking of moving into a new build development which is 5 mins walk from Bermondsey Tube, south of Jamaica Street. Will I feel safe walking home at night from the Tube station or from the City/Bermondsey Street?
Would you recommend this area as a friendly and safe place to be?
Friday 15 August 2008 12.52am
As long as you keep your wits about you, you'll be fine. The main roads are well lit, and as long as you don't have things like a mobile phone or an ipod on display things should be ok.
I would say it's one of the safer areas of London.
Welcome to Bermondsey!
Friday 15 August 2008 9.48am
It's no more dangerous here than anywhere. As Aunty Pat says...keep your eyes peeled and keep your bag safe..same as anywhere. How late do you mean?
Friday 15 August 2008 10.46am
Thanks. That's good to know. It's not likely I'd be coming home too late but like you say if I'm sensible with my bag then it's no different to anywhere else.
Friday 15 August 2008 11.36am
I think the main thing is to familiarize yourself with the route (or routes) you might take from the tube to where you live, so that you always definitely know exactly where you are going. You shouldn't experience any problems.
Friday 15 August 2008 4.58pm
Agree with the above - to me has always seemed a very safe area and commonsense is the watchword. In 15 years in London the only major safety problem I have ever experienced was late at night in the centre of Covent Garden - supposedly as safe as houses!
Friday 15 August 2008 5.24pm
It's often the central areas of town where you get very rowdy packs of people - of both sexes, but of guys especially - behaving like feral animals, "on the lash", etc. etc., whereas in areas like this one people are by and large going about their business. As various recent events demonstrates, bad things can happen round here, but they are still uncommon enough to cause surprise, shock and disappointment (which is too weak a word). People sometimes talk about being vigilant, but for me the most important thing is not to live in fear.
Friday 15 August 2008 6.14pm
thanks again everyone for your replies. You've certainly given me some comfort about the area and if you are a representation of my new neighbours then I will be happy.
Monday 18 August 2008 10.22am
I have lived in this area (15 mins walk from Bermondsey Tube) for over 10 yrs and walk home at night from the tube station. My advice is pretty much same as everyone else - just keep yr wits about you, don't take short cuts and probably good idea not to talk on mobile phone or listen to iPod. Haven't ever had a problem. St James's Road is well lit (if that's yr route) with plenty of traffic.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: