The Palatinate, New Kent Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 17 August 2008 10.11am
Hi i wonder if anyone can help me or tell me where i can get photos of Palatinate Estate in the 50s and 60s

I was brought up there number 16 the entrance was on New Kent Road next door to Smiths the sweet shop when they pulled them down we moved to Bermondsey but now i live in norfolk would love to show my grandchildren where i was brought up

Loved my days there hope someone can help me my single name then was Margaret Willoughby it is now Smith thank you
Sunday 17 August 2008 12.48pm
Unfortunately, I think that the only website that might have had such pictures is currently out of action.

People have found pictures of quite a lot of the streets around the Elephant before they were cleared.

However, the original photos used for that site (part of the London County Council/GLC photographic archive) might be held at London Metropolitan Archives.
http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/LGNL_Services/Leisure_and_culture/Records_and_archives/

The only mention of The Palatinate that I've managed to find was this in a 1955 volume ofThe Survey of London:

Quote:
At the end of the street nearer the Elephant and Castle most of the original houses have been replaced by modern buildings; while shops have been built over the front gardens of those which remain. (fn. a) Adjacent to Gurney Street are two six-storey blocks called The Palatinate, erected in 1875, and designed "to provide convenient and healthy dwellings at moderate rents" to enable those "of a grade higher in the social scale" than the working class to live near their work. (ref. 328) They were built by Messrs. Sutton and Dudley, who were also responsible for most of the houses on the site of the Surrey Gardens off the Walworth Road. At the time they were put up they were a progressive experiment in housing, and the shops on the ground floor facing New Kent Road were an unusual feature. They form a solid contrast to the lighter and more open blocks of three-and four-storey flats now being erected by the London County Council to replace terraces in the street destroyed by enemy action.

Good luck in your search.
Sunday 17 August 2008 1.29pm
Hi Lang Rabbie thank you so much for your reply i will just have to keep looking i had such a happy childhood there such good memories thank you for trying for me margaret smith
Monday 24 August 2009 12.05pm
Hi Margaret,

I too am looking for photos of the Palatinate Estate and details really of exactly where it was. I am trying to trace some people who lived at number 5 around the time you did. They were Robert and Lilian Lock. I actually looking for their son Kenneth Lock who would have been around 20 in 1963/64 and I wondered if you knew them at all.

If anyone else can help I would love to hear from you.
Many thanks
Sandra
Tuesday 15 September 2009 11.07pm
Hi Sandra i am sorry idont no the Family but i wish you luck in your search Margaret
Wednesday 16 September 2009 8.12am
Hi Margaret,

Thank you for your reply it was a long shot but worth a try...I will keep looking though.

Many thanks
Sandra
Wednesday 3 February 2010 10.28am
Does any one no where i can get old pictures of the palatinate estate grew up there and would love to show my grandchildren pictures of the esate i lived in the ones that where on new kent road roads to the side was pollock road and gurney st have great memorey,s of growing up there in the late 50 and earley 60 . when they tore them down we moved to grange road in Bermondsey next to the petrol station any one help please Margaret Smith was willoughby
Wednesday 3 February 2010 10.52am
There was a Mrs lock who ran the boarding house in new kent road until 80's 90's it was the house near driscoll house , will see if I can remember the number, she was about 80 when I met her.Dont think she was a londoner though. she took in youngsters from social services I think or the courts...
Saturday 13 July 2013 9.49am
Have a look at the film "Poor Cow". Part of it is set in the Palatinate building bounded by Rodney Place and Pollock Road.
Sunday 10 July 2016 2.39pm
Hi Lilly and Bob Lock were my nan and grandad and Ken my uncle.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: