Southwark Street Artwork

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 20 August 2008 8.59pm
Under the Bridge in Southwark Street at the junction of Redcross Way is a new coloured light matrix. It changes colours from multi colour to all red to all turquoise. Does anyone know what the mechanism that causes it to change, or is just a boring ol' electric timer.
We have the light tower at Tabard that changes colour due to barometric pressure, and there used to be a fluorescent light artwork that changed colour due to the wind speed.
I'm hoping the Southwark Street one is just as elaborate.
Whaterver controls it, I think it is a very striking piece of work, pleasing to the eye.
Wednesday 20 August 2008 10.12pm
Oh, I thought it was always multicoloured. I must stop and look at it properly.

I agree that it is a great piece.
But have no idea what controls it. Maybe we should guess.
Wednesday 20 August 2008 10.20pm
It's a team of little people with coloured gels jumping up and down.
Thursday 21 August 2008 10.44am
it changes in synchronous rhythm to the flow of trains overhead, traffic underneath, and pedestrian footsteps.
Friday 22 August 2008 5.52pm
Mystery Solved, it is a timer.
“this scheme also acts as an informal clock with the lights slowly changing from a shower of multicolour to a wall of solid colour on the hour and half hour”.
Friday 22 August 2008 6.34pm
I thought it was something to do with XXL.
Friday 29 August 2008 11.09am
It's a great piece of work - built from 100% recycled giant gay darleks. Go take a look - you'll see what I mean.

Monday 2 November 2009 8.37pm
It's running about 8 minutes behind by my reckoning.
Friday 13 August 2010 6.28pm
What a pity. After running for 2 years, I notice it has developed a fault, and 24 of its coloured lights are out of order.
Who wants to wager a bet it has gone faulty one day after it's 2 year guarantee period.
I wonder who to report it to, to get it repaired?
Monday 16 August 2010 11.42am
Response just in from Southwark Council:

"The Council has installed four new panels to extend the lighting scheme, the panels were installed last week and just need to be connected and synced with the existing programme."

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: