Bermondsey Boy

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Saturday 23 August 2008 7.39pm
Bermondsey Boy , lol grew up and lived in Grange Road, from 1945(age3)till 1963(age21).
Lots of memories ,Bacon School , Riley Road school for boys (gone now i've heard ,shame),the swimming baths the libary in Spa road ,Neckinger Estate.
Anymore Bermondsey Boys out there ,lets here from you .
dave

DJM
Saturday 23 August 2008 10.59pm
A Bermondsey girl here, living just off Grange Road. I remember the Baths very well. Bacons is in new premises and the library building is still there in Spa Road, although the library went some years ago.

In spite of all the changes, Bermondsey is still a great place to live.
Monday 25 August 2008 12.31pm
Hi Auntie Pat.
Do you rember Lushes the greengroucers oppsite to the baths and Sam Taylors lorry yard next to Lushes.
Must agree Bermondsey was a great place way back then aswell

DJM
Monday 25 August 2008 11.45pm
Hi dj, I don't think I remember the greengrocers, or the lorry yard, but I was never very observant as a kid! The baths were the scene of my weekly attempt to avoid being noticed by the swimming teacher, as I was mortally afraid of putting my head under the water! After swimming, we used to walk, our hair still wringing wet (she always got me!) back along Grange Road and down to our school St Saviour's and St Olave's Grammar. Did anyone else go there?
Tuesday 26 August 2008 12.03am
Hi

I work in the old library in Spa Road. It is now part of the admin for Southwark Youth Services. I don't think you would recognise the interior

I am very interested in the area as I am a Blitz historian and am writing a book about Bermondsey's Blitz. I have quite a lot of photos of Spa Road before, during and after the Blitz

Amazingly there are still "shelter" signs on the walls of the Neckinger Estate as well as in other parts of the borough
Tuesday 26 August 2008 6.39am
Neil is Mayor Henleys portrait still in the Town Hall? as you went in it was just up the stairs..
Tuesday 26 August 2008 4.02pm
Neil you must let us know when your book goes to print would love to buy a copy

DJM
Tuesday 26 August 2008 10.16pm
Hi Jan and DJ

yes the photo of Henley is still in the old town hall. Obviously Henley will feature in my book. All of the research is done i just have to get it written. I think that is nine months to a year away. The trouble is just when I think I can there is no more to research I get another lead or go off on another tangent and find out more and have to have another rethink about the book's structure. I'll get there in the end!
Wednesday 27 August 2008 9.03am
Neil, I atteneded 1 of your walks last month, it was so busy i didn't get a chance to look at the old photo's you had! I will look forward to your book :O)
Wednesday 27 August 2008 9.35am
Hello! Very intersting thread. Love the coming home from swimming with wet hair image. We're looking for memories and photographs of the gardens and open spaces in the area, both parks and gardens which exist today and those that were created 'temporarily' out of bomb sites or undeveloped land. If you've got any photos of the parks around Bankside with or without people on them, we'd love to see them as we want to display them in leaflets and use them in educational materials - anything welcomed - open scanning session on 2-4 at Red Cross Garden. Or get in touch with us at BOST. www.bost.org.uk
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: