Bermondsey Boy

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Neil Bright Wednesday 27 August 2008 11.15pm
Southwark Archive Library is the obvious choice for such photos, despite their impending temporary move to Peckham Library. I believe the photo collection will be there intact

What might be really useful are the 1946 aerial photos. I use these a great deal in my research

A huge amount of open spaces were used as allotments in the Blitz and one particular photo spring to mind, although it a shot over Camberwell Town Hall; the use of land as allotments

I have no photos to help - sorry
Neil Bright Wednesday 27 August 2008 11.26pm
Kas

do you go to the Rotherhithe and Bermondsey Society meetings? If so I'll bring some photos along
Auntie Pat Thursday 28 August 2008 12.47am
slightly off topic, but still in SE1 territory, does anyone know what happened to the little statue that used to be in the park on New Kent Road near Harper Road? It had a quotation from Dickens on the plinth.
Jan the old one Thursday 28 August 2008 7.32am
Auntie Pat that probably ended up in some southwark workers garden, not mine unfortunately! was that a little cherub figure on a shell Pat, me memories going..

and the memory of walking with dripping wet hair smelling a bit bleachy aahh lovely and do you know what Pat the lovely clean feeling I had after swimming in the baths ..priceless, in fact it was better for us to go swimming than to use the old copper boiler to heat the water for six of us, and when I tried to light it one day singed half me eyebrows orff...:-) did you ever go to the little canteen/tea bar thing in grange road baths, we used to have a cup of oxo , a slice of bread for three halfpence, or should i pronounce it as we all did..freeeightpence!
kas-75 Thursday 28 August 2008 11.15am
Neil Bright wrote:
Kas
do you go to the Rotherhithe and Bermondsey Society meetings? If so I'll bring some photos along

Unfortunatly no, i will try and get along to another blitz walk when they start up again, if i rememeber rightly, it's your birthday on the next one??
djmills Thursday 28 August 2008 11.43am
Jan did you know there was a turkish baths in the basement of the bath house next to the swimming pool .
Did you ever come and queue up for the swimming in the school summer hols ,they would go right round the corner .made many new mates in them queues
I use to love that libary in Spa road , so many books to choose from as a kid it was wonderful and after when we grew up (LOL)me lover she says i still aint grown up .(hehehe,i'se 66
I do remember the canteen but not the mugs of oxo wish i'd known ,hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

DJM
Jan the old one Thursday 28 August 2008 12.56pm
DJmills, we probably stood in the queue together! I loved swimming, and even had enough courage to jump off the 1st class diving board ( if I did it now there would be a tidal wave!) Mum never had any money so we earn't it by collecting papers and rags, or when they dug the roads up flogged the tarry logs for the fire! all sorts of scams...
Auntie Pat Friday 29 August 2008 1.22am
We missed out on the cup of Oxo! we had to march straight back to school from swimming lessons. In spite of hating swimming, it was a lovely baths, a lot nicer than Rotherhithe baths, or Manor Place where I went when I was in primary school.
Jan the old one Friday 29 August 2008 7.22am
Pat we used to drive the assistant potty, we would pour vinegar in and shake ten ton of pepper over the oxo! I never caught colds so it must have been a magic drink..:-)
djmills Monday 1 September 2008 4.50pm
I recall a bakers just before the baths, sold delicous bread pudding,and a park across the road where a lot of us local kids met up ,and did so for years ,

DJM
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions