Southwark Council recognises crime levels

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 27 August 2008 10.14am
Southwark is spending 650 per week on a staff shuttle bus service from Elephant station to its offices, a 10-15 minute walk away, to prevent them getting mugged.

Presumably the 188 bus which follows this same route is too unsafe.

But rest assured they are "working overtime to make the borough a safer place". But almost 3 years after it began, the shuttle bus is still needed.
Wednesday 27 August 2008 11.36am
Can't say as I blame them as the area is not savoury after dark. By the way it's not the 188 bus, if the office is Chiltern Street as in the BBC article. It would be one of several other buses that go down Walworth Road. If this particular office is moving to Tooley street the shuttle should be cancelled immediately!
Wednesday 27 August 2008 2.50pm
Maybe a bit more money could be spent by The Met policicing the area...that would be most helpful.
Wednesday 27 August 2008 6.27pm
Chiltern is a difficult area to work in, and several staff have been mugged, I think Southwark is right to have a bus.
Wednesday 27 August 2008 6.34pm
Southwark never bothered with all the staff on the Wendover then Taplow Housing..
what makes the Chiltern different? is it environmental/planning still there?
Thursday 28 August 2008 12.59am
Wendover and Taplow have the 343 and 42 buses passing by, so the staff at that end are well catered for. If you work at Chiltern you've got to walk through the estate to get to Walworth Road. I used to work in social services on Camberwell Road and then walk through the Aylesbury to visit my Nan. It was always a scary walk, especially if you saw a pissed off client!(I only worked in admin, but we were all "complete bastards" according to the clientele).

Mind you, if they're laying on buses for the council workers, what about the poor sods who live in the middle of the estate.
Thursday 28 August 2008 7.29am
Funny enough Pat I worked on the Wendover block, so I know what you mean about some clients. At that office they had a system where they closed every wednesday afternoon for staff ' training'..and some poor women whose children had been in care was waiting for an offer of housing in writing so she could prove to the court that she would be able to provide for her children. I could hear her naturally upset and shouting in the public area and wondered why no-one had bothered even to speak to her. She then vaulted up on the counter, climbed through a tiny gap
and way-laid the housing manager who when he threw his hands up to stop her clouted me in the face!
so i was clouted in the call of duty! When the social workers went on strike for a few months loads of people were mugged when they tried to call in the rent office and pay their rent and were turned away by
by striking staff..then subsequently mugged! after that I decided to carry protection when i walked through to the old kent road...
when were you at number 29.?
Thursday 28 August 2008 8.01am
just seen southwark news, its on front page. cost to tax payers over a hundred thousand. how comes it took all this time to be made public?
Thursday 28 August 2008 4.22pm
Soon all the council will be in a flash office on Tooley Street up by London Bridge - not central in the borough but undoubtedly very comfortable.

I just think they shouldn't shut themselves away in these ivory towers. Chiltern is situated in an entirely real bit of Southwark.

If their staff all arrive by car or shuttle bus then they are making zero contribution to local shop turnover, and no 'eyes on the street' improving safety.
Friday 29 August 2008 1.17am
Jan, I was there from 1984 to 1990, before that I was at Castle House.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: