John Harvard closing for 9 months

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 27 August 2008 4.24pm

John Harvard library is closing at 5pm on 13th September for nine months for major building works.
Can't wait to see what you get for 1.4 million in a library upgrade.
Wonder what all those 'students' using the WiFi HOTSpot are going to do.
And the studies library is moving to Peckham for nine months.
Any books you have to return after the 13th must be taken to Walworth Road library.
I thought they were going to have a sale of all the old books and start afresh in 2009.

Related events

• Celebratory Event (Saturday 13 September 2008 to Saturday 13 September 2008)
    Fun and games in advance of library refurb

Wednesday 27 August 2008 4.45pm
I've been meaning to go get a library card, but I think this is the only one in the London Bridge/Bermondsey area?
Wednesday 27 August 2008 5.00pm
i think it is but its a good library...well worth joining. looks like none of the 1.4 million is going to be spent on books though
Wednesday 27 August 2008 5.10pm
>>going to have a sale of all the old books

Do they have any (worthwhile) books in that library?
Wednesday 27 August 2008 5.20pm
Books?! Do people read those anymore?
Wednesday 27 August 2008 5.21pm
the book selection is very good.

and you can order from any Southwark library for 50p.

the DVDs are excellent and the CD's are pretty good.

Wednesday 27 August 2008 5.41pm
its a bit of a hidden gem and improving the surroundings should help attract a new bunch of these days of credit crunches and the like taking books out of the library could become something of a thing you know there will be a branch in bermondsey street!!
Thursday 28 August 2008 9.59am
I've found it to be a pretty good library - certainly better than the central library in my old borough, where as soon as the Tories got in they sold off all the overstock and half of the shelf stock (the latest is that they're trying to sell the building).
Sunday 31 August 2008 8.21am
It's not bad at all, and the local history section next door is great. Presumably that will be closing too?
Tuesday 2 September 2008 10.32am
Yes, the Local History library is closing too. All the stuff on the open shelves will be available at Peckham library (!) during the closure. Unfortunately all the archive material will just not be available for nine months.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: