The Arch climbing wall [and new London Bridge ice rink]

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 30 August 2008 8.20pm
http://www.archclimbingwall.com/

Anyone else been? It's great fun.

Also, they have opened an ice skating rink under the arches, I took a look today - there were only two pwople there... does anyone know if that's any good?
Sunday 31 August 2008 8.03pm
btw - no connection to either place..
Monday 1 September 2008 9.09am
Climbing isn't really my thing, but the ice rink sounds like fun - is there a web site?

Chris
Monday 1 September 2008 9.15am
No web site for the ice skating. I dropped in on Saturday and had a very quick look. Hopefully we'll have a feature about it on this site soon.

It's a synthetic rink - some kind of plastic surface, rather than real ice. Entrance is next to the corner of St Thomas' Street and Weston Street, just along from Topnotch.

0845 644 3760 for enquiries; introductory price is 5 inc skate hire; full price is 7.50 an hour plus 2.50 skate hire.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 1 September 2008 9.58am
James Hatts wrote:
It's a synthetic rink - some kind of plastic surface, rather than real ice.

Interesting - surely the plastic just gets scratched until it looks terrible/is dangerous and needs to be replaced? Look forward to the feature.

Chris
Monday 1 September 2008 9.45pm
oh no - I didn't realise it was a plastic one - not like real ice skating at all. I'll have to wait for winter and the Tower Hill or Greenwich rinks. Look forward to the feature.
Sunday 5 October 2008 3.59pm
Synthetic Ice Rink.
Made from Polyethylene. Synthetic panels that have unique qualities as an “ice” skating surface.
Lasts for approximately 5 years.
Eco friendly,
No compressors or complex machinery
No cold generation (no chillers, no generators)
Low maintenance energy cost
Low water consumption
Low maintenance costs.
www.londonbridgeiceskating.com
Jac
Sunday 5 October 2008 4.32pm
Bluesquirrel wrote:
Synthetic Ice Rink.
Made from Polyethylene. Synthetic panels that have unique qualities as an “ice” skating surface.
Lasts for approximately 5 years.
Eco friendly,
No compressors or complex machinery
No cold generation (no chillers, no generators)
Low maintenance energy cost
Low water consumption
Low maintenance costs.
www.londonbridgeiceskating.com

and horrible to skate on IMHO. I used to skate regularly and would love to have started going again so was very excited about having a rink on my door step until i found out it would be synthetic, so my skates will remain hung up for time being.
Sunday 5 October 2008 9.06pm
My husband goes to the Arch twice a week nowadays. He just started a few months ago, and is enjoying it immensely. (Especially the fact he can hide in the back section of the Arch to perfect his technique in private!)
His friend comes over from Clapham to climb once in a while too, since this is the only climbing gym (convenient location) in the area.

his words: It's brilliant.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: