43-46 Blackfriars Road - 75-metre hotel and office building

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Sunday 31 August 2008 10.35am
It looks like the north end of Blackfriars from Southwark tube station may be getting another new development on 43-46 Balckfriars Road - a 75 metre high building with mixed use office and hotel. Please see this link:
http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=1713

Other new developments planned for this part of Blackfriars Road are at 240 Blackfriars Road (2,300 sq ft of retail/restaurant space and 17 floors of office space),32-40 Blackfriars Road (a 90,000 sq ft 12 storey office building) and the iconic developments at 20 Blackfriars Road (twin towers, a 23 storey tower and 42 residential tower) and 1 Blackfriars Road (the Beetham Tower). Both of the last two are subject to a pending public enquiry. Would readers agree that all these developments if built out will bring major benefits and economic regeneration to this part of se1.
Sunday 31 August 2008 11.50am
Whilst I can't get hugely excited about the proposals architectually, they are good news as far as I'm concerned. Blackfriars Road is in dire need of a regeneration boost and here is nothing of any architectural merit between the Mad Hatter Hotel and the Palestra buildings. Transport link wise it is a perfect location for relatively high rise development being between the new Blackfriars station and Southwark tube.

Sadly some people are so blindly opposed to high rise development regardless of the location that I suspect that the proposals will get a rough ride through the public enquiry.

*waits for Mickey Salt to join the thread protesting vociferously against anything modern being built in London*
Zoe
Sunday 31 August 2008 12.02pm
Hmmmmm, those of who live here don't quite have the enthusiasm that you do for high rise buildings on Blackfriars Road.
Sunday 31 August 2008 12.41pm
Hopefully the recent approval of the Coin Street tower at public enquiry will help establish the case for the Beetham Tower and 20 Blackfriars Road.

In relation to local residents living close by I would have thought that the majority would be pleased to see the area they live in becoming more vibrant and be prepared to put up with the consequent disruptions to traffic and noise etc. The developments once built out will help to maintain/enhance long term property values in the immediate vicinity.
Sunday 31 August 2008 1.31pm
Zoe wrote:
Hmmmmm, those of who live here don't quite have the enthusiasm that you do for high rise buildings on Blackfriars Road.

OK I can see your concerns about over intensive development but Blackfriars Road is predominantly office developments anyway albeit ones at the end of their useful life, the proposed developments are not fundamentally altering the use of the street and the Jumeirah Hotel has got to be good for the local bars and restaurants on the Cut.

With regard to location OK I don't live near Blackfriars Road but have lived on Bermondsey Street for the last 3 years. I will therefore be impacted by the Shard but I can't wait to see it rise. Not only do I like the aesthetics but it will be a prominent symbol of SE1 and another step in the continuing economic regeneration of the area.
Sunday 31 August 2008 5.59pm
But it already is vibrant around Blackfriars Road,in fact too blinking vibrant.Our local bars and restaurants appear to be doing just dandy with this new influx of workers to fill them to overflow spilling onto the pavements,whilst we,the forgotten residents,need to almost elbow our way through them to get to our own front doors (avoiding the alcohol spills and vomit on the pavement)
Now we are to be bombarded with several construction sites at the same time,plus Blackfriars Station extension.The noise! The dust! The scaffolding! Can't bear to contemplate it.Can we fast forward a few years,say 'til after the Olympics,or would someone please donate a vast amount of money to my neighbours and myself to enable us to buy a huge home deep in the country so that we may stay together until this madness is over?
Zoe
Sunday 31 August 2008 6.16pm
Sandypandy is right, the area is already vibrant, and we don't want the noise and disruption this will bring. The building of Palestra was horrible, the rebuilding of Southwark College loud and annoying, and the building of Southwark Tube station tore up our estate, and it hasn't been put back, we still have the hoardings from the work which ended 10 years ago.

I can't see any benefits for residents, only disturbance during the works, and our area changing even more.

It's very easy for those who won't have to put up with the horrible disturbance caused by building work to think it's a good idea. Until you've witnessed building work you can't understand quite how bad it is.

Also, I like our area, I don't want more ugly buildings like Palestra, it's added nothing to the area, and I'm sure it gets uglier every time I look at it.
Sunday 31 August 2008 7.35pm
Lol - we love bars & vibrant areas but we dont want anything new because other people want to come here as well and clog up our pavements.

How dare they build anything new here & bring with it all that awful noise & mess . When my house/flat was built it didn't cause any disruption.

How dare people want to move to central London & how dare developers want to inflict new buildings on us. Don't they know that the nice shiny tube station was for us to go to other parts of London not for people to actually come here. And whats with all those people clogging up the Southbank & Tate Modern. Don't they realise it was built surely for the benefit of popel of living here before 1999.

Sheesh the cheek of some people.
Sunday 31 August 2008 9.05pm
Do you actually live on this stretch of road, Lambeth Lad ?
Zoe
Sunday 31 August 2008 9.55pm
I have to agree, do you live here? This area if so unpleasantly noisy, it's a constant cause of stress, maybe you are lucky and live in one of the quiet side streets, but for those of us on The Cut and Blackfriars Road, it's like we can never get any peace.

However, the real problem is these buildings don't add anything to the local area, they just make money for developers, and why should we welcome the addition of an unwanted highrise that makes a bit of extra money for a bunch of rich developers, ooooooo, I so want rich people to be richer, and more nuisance for locals, I can't wait.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: