Secret Millionaire at the Elephant

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 2 September 2008 11.58am
Channel4 tonight 9pm.
Secret Millionaire

26-year-old millionaire Daniel Smith goes undercover for ten days, living in a council block (Rockingham Est. it appears) in Elephant and Castle. After just a day Daniel's in shock:!

He meets Richard, a 21-year-old alcoholic whose days consist of begging for cash then a 2-mile walk to a cheap off license to buy a 3-litre bottle of cider.

Can you believe it! We see ads on the telly about people walking 10 miles to get a bucket of water and then walk home again. Meanwhile poor Richard from the Elephant and Castle has to walk 2 miles for a bottle of cider (SOB!!!)
Tuesday 2 September 2008 12.30pm
Yeah a sense of perspective seems to be lacking from this episode. The other programmes have usually been great, seeing how people like carers and widows get by and sometimes helping them with the guest's cash.

But reading the weblink it seems that this young and naive millionaire buys the line that the people he meets are not responsible for their situation at all.

I hope he gives the money to responsible local groups or charities and not straight into their hands.
Tuesday 2 September 2008 1.19pm
You can buy 3 litres of cheap cider nearly anywhere. 3 miles walk??????
Tuesday 2 September 2008 2.09pm
My thoughts exactly, Mapmaker. Unless there's somewhere really cheap only 3 miles away. In which case WE SHOULD BE TOLD!!!!!

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 2 September 2008 2.21pm
surely making his own would be cheaper!
Tuesday 2 September 2008 4.52pm
I can't see the bit where Richard is moaning that he has to walk 2 miles. Are people just seeing what they want to see again?
Tuesday 2 September 2008 10.07pm
Anybody watch it?

Had absolutely nothing to do with E&C area from what I could see; seemed to be more focused on "Secret Millionaire investigated homelessness in London". Seemed to have a very different vibe to the other episodes in the series which were very much about the local area the person stayed in. Disappointing as a result (and just in case; no i am not saying homelessness is not a worthy topic)
Tuesday 2 September 2008 10.32pm
Would anyone else simply tell the millionaire where to stick his/her cheque, or am I alone on this?
Wednesday 3 September 2008 8.32am
Colinio, I think the programme did not concentrate on the individuals journey to arrive at that situation, more the associations and individuals helping them.

To explain the sometimes dreadful circumstances of drugs/drink/mental illness then homeless route would take eons..

I would have liked the programme to concentrate more on the area where he was staying, it was frustrating to try and see what block it was.

If he really is a millionaire I think the amount could has been bigger, not given back, still the widows mite comes to mind!
Wednesday 3 September 2008 9.36am
I watched this programme. It did seem to concentrate more on who he saw, what he did, and where, rather than just round the area where he stayed. I also agree with above poster that being a millionaire he could have given more money out, but just by being on the programme will have raised the profile of the people he did help enough that they'll probably not need as much help in the future.

not quite as good as some of the other episodes in this series though.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: