Moving in!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 2 September 2008 3.59pm
Hello everyone!

I am new here but have been reading a few threads and you all seem like lovely people! You've probably been asked about this loads, but I am moving into the area (actually SE17) in a couple of weeks. I'll be moving to East Street, towards the OKR end near the shops. I liked the area when I looked round, it had quite a nice community feel about it, but I am beginning to worry about how safe the area is. I am from London anyway, so I am quite streetwise, but I was wondering if crime is particularly bad around this area and if I should be overly concerned? I am a female student and am looking for some reassurance! Thank you!
Tuesday 2 September 2008 4.07pm
We are indeed lovely people, and glad that comes over. We know there are "nasty goings on" in our area, but it's not any worse than any other area, and you just have to be careful. Are you living in the Aylesbury Estate? I have a flat there, it's great.
Tuesday 2 September 2008 4.16pm
No I am living in one of the three story Victoriany terrace houses which is probably permanently rented by students. I thought the Aylesbury estate was at the other end of East Street, towards Walworth Road? Sorry, still not too familiar with the area! I am studying at Guy's hospital so will be walking down the OKR/Great Dover Street, perhaps in the dark once winter sets in. If I just don't do the obvious (flaunt phone/ipod etc) I hope this will be ok?
Tuesday 2 September 2008 8.07pm
No no, the Aylesbury Estate is at the bottom of the market between the Old Kent Road and Thurloe Road...never mind. Much nicer where you are. Just stay where it's well lit!
Wednesday 3 September 2008 10.57am
Busht88 wrote:
I am studying at Guy's hospital so will be walking down the OKR/Great Dover Street, perhaps in the dark once winter sets in. If I just don't do the obvious (flaunt phone/ipod etc) I hope this will be ok?

Should be fine as those are busy roads and you can always get the 21 bus if it's raining.

Alternative route is to walk down OKR / Tower Bridge Road / Bermondsey St. It might be a bit quicker for taking you to Guy's.

Welcome to the area
Wednesday 3 September 2008 2.56pm
Great thanks for the reassurance! Looking forward to getting to know the area.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: