Car insurance

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 5 September 2008 11.29am
Have just moved to near the area (SE11) and have subsequently had to update all insurance, water, electricity etc. and additional two sets of car insurance. Everything has been going along fairly swimmingly. Managed to find a good deal on contents insurance, but...

One of the car insurance policies has gone up 20 per month and the other has gone up nearly 25 per month. One of the policies is due to expire in December, and I'll definitely be shopping around for something cheaper, but I'm still in shock!

I'm presuming that car crime must be huge (argh!). Does anybody have experience with their care insurance premium rising when moving to this area?
Friday 5 September 2008 12.41pm
Mine went down actually (previously in the West End).

Try elephant.co.uk and also read the article on moneysavingexpert.com about how to find the cheapest car insurance. I knocked 400 off my renewal quote this way.

Good luck!
Friday 5 September 2008 2.34pm
It may not be the just the level of crime increasing the risk to your underwriters. Factors such as the density of vehicles, and drivers visiting who are unsure of local roads may affect our premiums. If you want a real shock, try asking how much it costs to insure a Luton sized removals van for commercial use.
Friday 5 September 2008 7.17pm
My premium with Admiral (of which Elephant.co.uk are a part) was very reasonable so it seems the Admiral group are not afraid to insure people round here!
Tuesday 9 September 2008 4.39pm
Hi,

When I moved into the area, I found that it really made no difference *where* the car was parked - street, secure parking, driveway. The biggest influence was our postcode.

I registered with Quidco (costs 5 per year) & searched for car insurance deals. The deal I got with eCar was much cheaper & I also get 50 back through Quidco. (I think this has gone up to 60 now.)

Quidco's site is at https://www.quidco.com/. I'd say definately worth checking!

Please note - I think there are other similar services to Quidco available, but I've not used them. I'm not remotely connected to them or to eCar - just a member/ customer.

Good luck & do let us know how you get on.

Best - S.
Tuesday 9 September 2008 5.53pm
Quidco is ace. Definitely recommended. Again, no connection.
Thursday 11 September 2008 5.20pm
Agree with all previous statements.
Elephant.co.uk offered me a very good deal, which I quoted to my current Insurer, Diamond, who gave me a better rate. So Admiral subsidiaries are definitely recommended from me!
Good Luck
KG
Sunday 14 September 2008 10.12pm
Try Footman James they are great.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: