"Paper Army"

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
DT
Monday 8 September 2008 12.32pm
Hi everyone, I'd like to share our local short film with you all. Thanks to everyone's suggestions for ideas and sorry I couldn't get back to everyone...

PAPER ARMY is a documentary that focuses on the purple and yellow armies of paper distributors on the twilight streets of London.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9lbaPrTdAE

At the height of rushhour, "Paper Army" contemplates the life of a paper in the hands of the city.
Paper and ink, not in exchange for gold and silver but thrust upon us as if it's encoded script will save us from ourselves.

The purple and yellow paper armies, so vibrant against the grey city of London, yet so invisible.
Saturday 13 September 2008 9.28pm
They all seem to be such a decent bunch,and it's amazing that,from amongst all the other commuters rushing past them they acknowledge me.I get quite upset at how plain rude some people are to them.It takes just one second to say "no,thanks" instead of pushing them aside.I wonder what they truly think of us?
Wednesday 17 September 2008 4.09pm
Sandy, are you serious? They are a blight on the landscape, an obstacle on the pavement, and the "news" they distribute is sub-standard red-top material. It upsets me that so many intelligent people on the tube get their daily information from this nonsense press.

It may say one second to say no, but when you see more than 15 of them a day - as happens from my walk home from work in Islington - you start to dispair.

Mind you, they;re not as bad as chuggers /shiver
Thursday 18 September 2008 9.00am
chibaken wrote:
Sandy, are you serious? They are a blight on the landscape, an obstacle on the pavement, and the "news" they distribute is sub-standard red-top material.

Agree entirely! There's quite a conflict between the natural urge to treat people politely and the awareness that their entire business model rests on them getting between you and where you want to be. Like parking wardens and chuggers, they're (generally) reasonable people in a job that requires them to be incredibly irritating.
Friday 19 September 2008 7.46am
I also agree. I was walking down Oxford Street yesterday, which is difficult to navigate in the best of circumstances, and the paper vendors made it nearly impossible. It's one thing to offer a paper; it's another to stand in the middle of pedestrian traffic to do it; it's yet another to shoot your arm out suddenly across the sidewalk to try to force a paper on someone four feet away, right in front of people who are trying to pass you.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: