Riverview Pub

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 9 September 2008 12.24am
Can anyone suggest a good venue to meet friends at where you can see the river Thames?

We want to be able to get drinks and not too expensive food but be able to see this weekend's boat race.

I hear there's an All Bar One that's on the river - although I'm not sure how limited their food choices are.
Tuesday 9 September 2008 5.46am
Is this the Great River Race or another event?

All Bar One 's food choices aren't bad at all. The food itself won't win awards, but is at least acceptable.
ADT
Tuesday 9 September 2008 8.27am
The All Bar One is on Butler's Wharf/Shad Thames (follow the link). The menu is quite good for eating in a group - they do little tapas style plates, but the actual food is a bit variable. Sometimes excellent, sometimes a bit mediocre.

You'd get a better view from places further west, if they're not too busy - All Bar One is set quite far back from the bank, and you'll see more of the racing if you're right on the river. The Queen Mary will have a cracking view http://www.caniseethat.co.uk/QueenMary/

Are you willing to travel out of SE1? The Trafalgar in Greenwich has a view of the finish.

I found a timetable for the race:
http://www.greatriverrace.co.uk/about_course.php
Tuesday 9 September 2008 8.52am
The Mayflower in Rotherhithe has a large terrace overhanging the river and the food is great.

The Angel on Bermondsey Wall has a smaller space but people can spill outside to the long low wall to the river.
Tuesday 9 September 2008 8.52am
Founders Arms?

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 9 September 2008 11.20am
You really need to be West of Tower Bridge as I think the race finishes there. The Anchor near London Bridge would be good (if the weather is reasonable as they have a big terrace right on the river)but I have never eaten there
Tuesday 9 September 2008 12.21pm
There will be commentary on the Great River Race outside the Founders Arms on Bankside but the crowds for The Mayor's Thames Festival may be unbearable.

Sarahse1 - the race starts in Richmond and finishes in Greenwich.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
ADT
Tuesday 9 September 2008 12.43pm
Just had another thought - the outside bit of the bar at the Royal Festival Hall would have a cracking view. I doubt they do food, but there are loads of eating houses around there to cover that.
Tuesday 9 September 2008 1.32pm
What about St Thomas's hospital - they have cafe and restraunt, and if you know someone ill (or pregnant) there, you would even get a high up view, and it's publicly accessible, easy access to the river front. An underused gem, in my opinion, if you don't mind mixing with ill people.
Wednesday 10 September 2008 8.14pm
Yes,they are beautiful views from Tommy's,but it is so difficult for staff,who have such a limited amount of time for breaks,to have to wait in line behind everyone else.There is also a self-service cafe further down the South Wing corridor called Shepherd Hall which faces onto the river front,magnificent sight of the Houses of Parliament and doesn't get as crowded as Toms2 cafe.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network