Weston Street incident explained

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 14 December 2003 2.30pm
I am loath to restart the previous debate (I have closed that thread) but I thought the explanation for the incident that provoked the great row might be of interest.

It comes from the New York Times, of all places

Quote:
On a recent Saturday night, about a thousand young black Britons crowded into some tunnels near the London Bridge for a rowdy party that's known as "The Eskimo Dance." At first the D.J.'s played American hip-hop and Jamaican "bashment" — the local term for dancehall reggae — while the men drank mixed drinks (or, if they could afford it, champagne) and watched the women dance. But then came something else: the beats got murky and fidgety, and local M.C.'s crowded the stage, barking out fierce, mile-a-minute rhymes. People pushed forward, straining to see who had the microphone.
Dizzee Rascal, a brilliant and wildly original 19-year-old M.C. and producer, was everywhere and nowhere that night. His hits — panicky confections of spluttering electronics and superenunciated yelps — were played during the hip-hop and bashment sets. And M.C.'s borrowed his underground tracks — grim, sparse beats, with hardly any melody at all — for their live sets. Wiley, the veteran M.C. who helped organize the night, began by paying tribute to Dizzee, who was once his close friend, and people cheered at the mention of his name. But Dizzee, who grew up going to parties like the Eskimo Dance, had chosen not to attend.

It turned out to be a wise decision. Around 2:30 in the morning, a rhyme battle onstage spilled out into the audience. Soon, hundreds of clubgoers were stampeding toward the exits — and then, when another fight broke out near the back, stampeding away from the exits. Bottles were flying. People said they heard gunshots. Outside, as police officers and their dogs kept watch, fans headed home early (the party had been scheduled to last until 6), trading tall tales about who had done what.
click here for full story

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 15 December 2003 3.59pm
That raises many more questions than it explains. It does for me anyway.

For example, what is:

1. Dancehall reggae, let alone bashment!

2. A murky and fidgety beat

3. An MC

4. was everywhere and nowhere that night

5. panicky confections

6. of spluttering electronics and

7. superenunciated yelps

et cetera.
Tuesday 16 December 2003 10.52pm
Mapmaker, don't know if this helps, but I think you can buy panicky confections at that newsagent opposite City Hall on Tooley St.

Wednesday 17 December 2003 11.02pm
Well at least my original question has finally been answered!
Well found James!

Jo
Thursday 18 December 2003 5.27pm
ampmaker, i don't know if this helps, but if you set your calendar to 2003 then it may all make sense

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: