Waitrose coming to More London?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Wednesday 10 September 2008 12.42pm
A rumour reaches me that Waitrose is to open in More London. Haven't read about it on here, is it true?
Wednesday 10 September 2008 12.50pm
Well there will be a supermarket unit in the basement of the new PricewaterhouseCoopers building (7 More London Riverside) currently under construction so it's plausible, though I don't think the space is particularly big by Waitrose's standards.

I know they have a few modestly sized city centre stores these days, though.

( You're not just being mischievous, though, are you? )

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 10 September 2008 12.52pm
When I spoke to Waitrose some time ago about a store in SE1, they said that they had no plans for one and to visit the branch at St Katherine's Dock, just across the river. Perhaps they have changed their minds?

If they did move into More London, we'd probably be one of the best served areas of London for groceries: Waitrose, Sainsburys, Tesco, Asda, Borough Market all within walking distance.
Wednesday 10 September 2008 2.59pm
Unless I've missed a spate of supermarket openings, I don't think that's right. There is no Asda within walking distance of More London. Sainsbury's (Bororugh High Street), Waitrose (St Katherine's Docks) and Tesco on Great Tower Street are all a good 20 minutes walk. That's a 45 minute round trip for a pint of milk.

Great local shops and M&S of course. But no major supermarkets.
Wednesday 10 September 2008 3.28pm
He means Asda on Old Kent Road, which is not really walking distance from many parts of SE1.

Wednesday 10 September 2008 3.45pm
( You're not just being mischievous, though, are you? )

Certainly not - I'd save that for Chatter. I was at a meeting at E&Y this morning, and they said the base of the new PwC building was going to include a Waitrose. I jumped for joy...

Apparently More London M&S is the highest grossing, psf, M&S in the country.
Wednesday 10 September 2008 4.39pm
I'm surprised--I would have thought it would be the M&S in London Bridge station!

I'd love to have a Waitrose.
Wednesday 10 September 2008 4.55pm
It's not listed in a Waitrose development schedule I've seen, which includes proposed sites up to 2011.
Wednesday 10 September 2008 5.42pm
The rumour might perchance have started with those involved in trying to let unoccupied (or more probably looking to assign soon to be under-occupied) office space in More London and nearby. [/cynicism]
Wednesday 10 September 2008 5.44pm
Just remember how every supermarket under the sun was rumoured for Empire Square at one time or another.

Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: