Pilates/yoga

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Lmg
Wednesday 10 September 2008 4.17pm
Hi
Am new to the site, have been living on Long Lane for about 5 months now. Looking to start a pilates class in the area, can anyone recommend a place to go? Somewhere that holds classes or a gym where you don't have to be a member would be cool.
Wednesday 10 September 2008 5.00pm
This place has been mentioned before on this forum http://www.studioseventyfour.co.uk/
Friday 12 September 2008 11.49am
There is a person in the Jam Factory, Steve, who was recommended to me, though I have not had time or funds to go yet! His number is 07723 363417.
Lmg
Friday 12 September 2008 11.56am
Thanks guys, will check those out
mro
Friday 12 September 2008 4.48pm
Steve is very good.
I can also recommend Alison Holberton for yoga classes her website
Saturday 13 September 2008 9.31am
I go to Globe House and Alison Holberton for yoga; and Studio Seventy-Four for gyrotonic (although they also do pilates).

Alison's yoga classes tend to be a bit easier than the classes at Globe House in my experience. That said there are lots of different teachers at Globe House so I'm sure you can find a class to suit you. Both are very different but equally lovely spaces to practice yoga in.

I do one-to-one sessions of gyrotonic at Studio Seventy-Four with Sal, who is excellent and the reason I keep going despite it being a bit beyond my budget. While I'm doing my sessions, a lady called Lina teaches pilates. She's never taught me personally, but her clients seem to love her and she comes across as having a very relaxed, intuituve manner. I don't know if they do any classes at Studio Seventy-Four though. I think it may only be one-on-one/one-on-two.

There used to be a place called Pilates Works on Shad Thames that I used to do pilates mat classes at a few years ago; but I believe they've moved to a place near Waterloo now.

When looking for pilates teachers, my advice would be to look for someone who is qualified by the Pilates Foundation, rather than the Body Control Pilates qualification.

Julia.
Sunday 14 September 2008 11.03pm
Try Tokei martial Arts and Fitness Centre at Magdalen St.

Great place for classes.
Tuesday 16 September 2008 1.54am

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: