The Watch House, Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 12 September 2008 3.07am
There is a planning application in with Southwark Council to change the use of the Watch House on the corner of Bermondsey Street and Long Lane, from office/storage to Class A1 shop. My understanding is that the intention is to open a wine club shop there.

Good or bad idea? I guess that the council just want to maximise the income from this Grade II listed building which is in a conservation area (much good that does!)

The planning application number is 08-AP-2120 and the case officer is Sonia Watson 020 7525 5434. The consultation period ends on 17 September. The Planning website is http://planningonline.southwarksites.com/planningonline2/
Friday 12 September 2008 5.16am
its an interesting looking building ...what was it originally?
Friday 12 September 2008 6.24am
i think six wines eight are hoping to relocate there from their current position on corner of TBR/Grange Rd
Friday 12 September 2008 7.59am
What is a "wine club shop"?
Friday 12 September 2008 8.00am
The Watch House was erected to prevent grave-robbing from St Mary Magdalen's Churchyard.

The combination of the proximity of Guy's/St.Thomas's Hospitals and the soft, marshy ground must have made this a prime target for body snatchers.

See more history of this fascinating Church at:

http://www.stmarysbermondsey.org.uk/
Friday 12 September 2008 10.55am
ah like in the resurrectionists!!! great if grim book btw...do they do wine tastings??
Friday 12 September 2008 11.23am
SWE
Thursday 18 September 2008 11.36am
Hello, I am a co-owner of Six Wines Eight. I'd like to answer some concerns about the change of use of the Watch House. We have no intention to change or would we be allowed to change the Watch House building. We may give it a fresh coat of appropriate coloured paint but that would be it. We feel strongly about preserving the original nature of the building and its inherent qualities are part of its appeal. It has remained empty for a long time and we believe it is a positive move to allow a change of use so it is open, in every sense, to the public. Please support us by emailing planning.applications@southwark.gov.uk
Thursday 18 September 2008 11.55am
got to say think its a great idea, really good use of an interesting building thats lain empty for years...will happily support the application, good luck with it.
Thursday 18 September 2008 3.10pm
Likewise - I think it is an excellent idea and will drop an email in support.

Good luck!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: