Surplus Store in Walworth Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Flipper Friday 12 September 2008 9.44am
Just thought you will be interested to know what happened to me yesterday when I went to that shop to change some combat trousers that I have bought last week and that they didn't fit.

Me: 'Erm.. good morning, I was wondering if I could change these trousers I bought last week, they are my size but for some reason they don't fit me at all and...'

Him: SHOUTING:'WHAT SIZE YOU WANT!!!!'

(I thought he was a bit deaf, so I shouted back)

Me: 32!!

Him: muttering something that sounded like idiot, ****, wanker, wasting my time, etc...

Him: YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY ME 2 FOR EXCHANGING THEM, YOU TIME WASTER, I HAVE A BUSINESS TO RUN!

Me: Erm.. really? Erm.. I have not money with me so I will have to go to the bank and get some.

HIM: More abuse... shouting and more of 'wasting my time'...

At this point I was a totally shocked, in normal circumstances I would have said something to that horrible old man about his attitude. His shop or not he has to comply to trading standards regulations, and talking like that to customers is really not on and charging for the returns/exchange of goods it not on either but I didn't want to keep those trousers that didn't fit me so I thought I'll give him the 2 and forget all about it, so I went back with the 2 and he threw my trousers on my face practically and muttered some more rubbish at me before shouting GET OUT!.

The whole experience was very surreal and I was in shock for quite a long time afterwards but can't help but finding the whole thing funny as well.

Be aware.. the shop is soooo dusty and dark and smelly and the most scary thing was seeing him holding a holding a large pole as in ready to hit me with it.

Eek!!

Advertisement

graham Friday 12 September 2008 12.22pm
One of the personalities of Walworth.
I had a problem years ago with some boots, my experience was similar. I still see the proprietor from time to time, loading up the outside of his shop. Characters like that all add to the rich fabric that is the Elephant & Castle.
Two pound well spent?
hmeah Friday 12 September 2008 4.02pm
either you must be really annoying or this old man must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed? lol

which store, the oldish store with all the army stuff? that no one ever gones into?
Flipper Friday 12 September 2008 4.23pm
oh dear, it is amazing what you find on the web!

http://theeyechild.blogspot.com/2006/12/walworth-road-army-surplus.html
phoney Friday 12 September 2008 4.24pm
Sounds a bit like the bloke who owned the army surplus store in the film Falling Down starring Michael Douglas.
The stuff hanging outside and the dusty window display makes you wonder if the shop is a front for some srange activity going on in the back room.
The whole look of the place seems designed to deter customers.
I think an londonSE1 undercover reporter should don a disguise and do an investigative piece.
hmeah Friday 12 September 2008 4.25pm
lol
thats the one, i've always been scared to go in there! you the man!
Andrew H Friday 12 September 2008 6.29pm
He ought to get together with the guy from the Brick By Brick charity shop on the Old Kent Road.
mick4recycle Tuesday 16 September 2008 3.12am
i bought an army cape there
..great for cycling in the rain

its a bit like a waterproof poncho with a nice high collar you can tuck your chin into to protect your lower face
youve still got access to all your usual pockets
also you can drape it over the handlebars so the gear shifts
dont get wet and slippery

if you like sitting against trees in parks in summer it doubles as a groundsheet too

..anyway..

i read about him in a thread about stocking up for Glastonbury

they suggested you could go there and choose either to be insulted or entertained....
Tolstoy Tuesday 16 September 2008 7.16am
I wouldn't recommend them for cycling, given as they restrict arm movement if you have to make a sudden evasive manoeuvre.
mick4recycle Tuesday 16 September 2008 10.19am
dyou mean as if it was like wrapping yourself in a flat table cloth or a blanket..

as it happens in fact theyre quite well designed
they have one tailored-in shoulder
and button tightly at the neck so theyre more sort of like..
wearing a tent..say

you have unrestricted movement underneath

like these guys..
http://www.norwegianwood.org/beatles/disko/lp/images/help.jpg

/ agreed safety is all important
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions