All Ireland gaelic football final

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 12 September 2008 2.28pm
Friends who're going to be in the Bermondsey St. area on Sept 21st have asked if I know a pub that'll be showing the all Ireland final. I haven't a clue. Anyone know?
Friday 12 September 2008 4.25pm
I'm afraid the number of bars in the area showing this or other GAA matches is getting smaller and smaller as the years go by. The only SE1 bar that I know for sure will show it is the Crown and Anchor on New Kent Road. Probably Flowers of the Forest on Westminster Bridge Road too. But I dont know your end of SE1 so well and I'm sure there are probably bars closer to you that will carry it. An alternative is just to go into the West End and watch it somewhere awful like Waxys (will be packed).
Saturday 13 September 2008 12.57pm
Thanks a lot, Neil. Something more down Bermondsey St. way might be better for them - someone said maybe the Marigold? - but, if not, the Crown and Anchor sounds like the answer. Wonder why less GAA shown locally? Were there more Irish people in the area previously, or have they all been converted to foreign sport?
Saturday 13 September 2008 6.33pm
aoibhneas wrote:
Wonder why less GAA shown locally? Were there more Irish people in the area previously, or have they all been converted to foreign sport?

I think it's mainly because fewer Irish people come over to live and work in London (or emigrate generally) because we dont have to so much these days. And because it's so easy to pop home or get news etc.. from the internet now those that do come here dont seem to have the same need for Irish bars or clubs. It will only have a gradual impact but since I've lived in SE1 2 of the 4 bars I would usually go to to watch GAA matches / Ireland internationals have closed. Maybe if I didnt just go to them to watch sports they might have had enough regular custom to stay open ;-)
Saturday 13 September 2008 10.05pm
The Rose on Weston St shows all the tea-caddy games. They had the Irish cricket all-Ireland on last Sunday afternoon.
I reckon that Tyrone will win this one.
Saturday 13 September 2008 11.36pm
Thanks, Sidney. No chance - Kerry.
Monday 15 September 2008 11.36am
If you think GAA is minority sport in SE1, try being a rugby league fan!

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 19 September 2008 6.32pm
This is now getting complicated because the Chelsea-Man United game's on the same day, and overlaps by about twenty minutes. May have to subscribe to Setanta for a month and get it at home. But the search goes on ...
Sunday 21 September 2008 1.20pm
Neil, checked yesterday and it's going to be the Crown and Anchor. Thanks again for your advice.
Monday 22 September 2008 9.24am
It was a cracking game by all accounts.

Unfortunately I was stuck at home finishing work and didnt even make it down to the Crown and Anchor for the second half :(
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: