Tooley Street Gets Sorted

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 12 September 2008 3.36pm
So, the identity of the More London supermarket is the subject of much speculation on the forum. I see that there are, however, numerous other new buildings/shopfronts that are close to being finished all the way up Tooley Street from London Bridge Station to Jamaica Road, including:

A. The old Southern Railways building that was recently cleaned up and is temporarily housing a paintball centre. Does anyone know what is happening with this? It currently has scaffolding up. I wonder if this is anything to do with the Shard?

B. There a couple of shops that are empty near Fuzzy's Grub, opposite the Hilton. Anyone know who's going in here?

C. The new Southwark Council offices - it looks as if there are a couple of retail spaces in this building - anyone have any info on the new tenants?

D. The funky terraces redeveloped by Hawkins/Brown (behind Norton Rose). Does anyone know who/what is going into these?

E. Tooley Street/Jamaica Road -- a couple of shops empty here, including the old Lazy bar. Any one in the know about these?

Finally, Tooley Street will have some life!
Friday 12 September 2008 6.44pm
It's going to be considerably busier that's for sure; 2,000 workers to be housed at the Southwark Council building and 6,000 at the PWC offices just opposite.
Friday 12 September 2008 6.58pm
designateddriver wrote:
A. The old Southern Railways building that was recently cleaned up and is temporarily housing a paintball centre. Does anyone know what is happening with this? It currently has scaffolding up. I wonder if this is anything to do with the Shard?

That whole attractive block, including the Winston Churchill's Britain at War "museum" would be demolished as part of the Thameslink rebuild plans for London Bridge station, but I didn't think anything was scheduled to happen at London Bridge until 2012?
Friday 12 September 2008 7.44pm
2000 council workers...that should up the takings at gaucho!
Monday 15 September 2008 2.33pm
designateddriver wrote:
E. Tooley Street/Jamaica Road -- a couple of shops empty here, including the old Lazy bar. Any one in the know about these?
I had an email the other day to say that the old Lazy bar will be reopening soon with a new name and new management.

Lang Rabbie wrote:
That whole attractive block, including the Winston Churchill's Britain at War "museum" would be demolished as part of the Thameslink rebuild plans for London Bridge station, but I didn't think anything was scheduled to happen at London Bridge until 2012?

The proof of evidence of Network Rail's Andrew Mitchell in the Hop Exchange inquiry [opening tomorrow] says that "...the successful delivery of the new London Bridge station by December 2015 as required by the Secretary of State, will require work on the station to start in late 2010"

On 1 July this application [pdf] came before Southwark's planning committee in order to keep all the permissions relating to the station 'live'. At the meeting Network Rail undertook not to build the approved office building fronting Tooley Street and to come forward with a new design.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 17 September 2008 3.37pm
James

Thanks for the great update - I certainly hope the old Southern Railway building is retained as it has great brickwork and is a great foil to the more modern architecture across the street.

Good news too re: Lazy Bar.

As for the Hop Exchange, what is the Inquiry all about?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: