Pub to watch football in, not get teeth knocked out?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Saturday 13 September 2008 9.49am
Where's a good neighborhood pub (not a chain please) to watch Sky Sports that's not full of coked-up cavemen with homicidal tendencies, close to Bermondsey Square? Unless we are saved by a miracle suggestion, it looks like we're headed to the George.....
Saturday 13 September 2008 10.16am
It's quite civilised down at the other end of TBR, The River Bar, I watch Sky there sometimes.
bft
Saturday 13 September 2008 11.39am
The Marigold at the bottom end of Bermondsey St (south of Long Lane)? Wasn't too sure what reception non-locals would get so passed it by a few times before finally chancing it. Turned out to be very welcoming and two big tv's with Sky (as well as a fine pint of John Smith's!)
Saturday 13 September 2008 11.42am
The Elephant & Castle (not surprisingly at the Elephant & Castle) has Sports on. Some of the people in our building (Metro Central) go there to watch footie.
Saturday 13 September 2008 6.20pm
A bit late for today but after a desperate search for local pub with Setanta, I watched Middlesbrough v Newcastle last season in Suchard on Crucifix Lane. It was pleasant enough and I didn't get my teeth knocked out even after leaping up to celebrate Boro scoring before realising that the group behind me were Newcastle fans! Oops!
Sunday 14 September 2008 11.13am
The Horseshoe Inn on Melior Street has Sky Sports and Setanta. Watched the Man City v Chelsea game in there yesterday and Liverpool games previously.

Everyone friendly and decent cheap pub food too.
Sunday 14 September 2008 12.19pm
Nice thread title :D

LOL
Sunday 14 September 2008 8.13pm
I think the Woolpack on Bermondsey Street would fit the bill. Nice room upstairs with a big plasma screen, table service and barely a genuine football fan in sight.

Sunday 14 September 2008 11.12pm
the blue eyed maid, borough high st is good, big screen at the back, 2 further big flat screens and also a screen outside, where you can smoke, drink and be heated whilst seated!

and if you get munchies, you have the rest. upstairs.
Monday 15 September 2008 9.47am
Thanks all! We ended up going to the Marigold, as it takes about 45 seconds to walk there. It was okay, but the accoustics are bad -- walls and ceiling are apparently constructed of special space-age voice reflecting/amplifying materials. With just 15 or so people in there it was deafening, and the guy with the insane hyena laugh was not helping. Also, some couple broke my "no babies in the pub!" rule and we got out just as she began to change its diaper right there next to the bar.

I will have to check out some of these other recommendations. Fantastic. My friend was born and raised in Bermondsey and thanks to you guys I know more about the area than he does. Ha!
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: