Overkill?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Saturday 13 September 2008 11.52am
We are always being told how 'market forces' will return the best solution to any given situation and I suspect there are many here who would argue in its favour, so can I ask how they apply to the retail position on Southwark St and its Locale which, essentially empty after 6pm, currently has:
Pret a Manger
Leon
Viva Verdi
Del'Aziz
Tsuru
M&S
The Table (formerly Taste - what happened there then?)
Starbucks
Crussh
Amano
The Refinery - a new concept in gastro dining apparently but of course, not and coming soon - hey guess what!? Another place to eat, Tortilla and no doubt more to follow.

All of course part of regenerating a sense of local community as I recall the developer blurb stating in a trendy typeface.

Are these economics that make sense to anyone?!
Saturday 13 September 2008 11.59am
These places tended to be rammed at lunchtime, so I guess that's when they make their money.
Saturday 13 September 2008 12.26pm
there is also an after work crowd who i am sure will flock to the refinery
Saturday 13 September 2008 1.25pm
These places tended to be rammed at lunchtime, so I guess that's when they make their money.

But you need more than one hour a day to run a successful business.
Saturday 13 September 2008 8.36pm
They're all chains (I think, not sure about Viva Verdi?) and therefore the only ones who can afford the rent. I think Bankside 123 is more about Emap and co than local residents, much like More London. There are more residential units being built very close by so maybe it'll balance out a bit.
Sunday 14 September 2008 7.18am
RBS move about 4000 people in to Bankside 1 and 2 early next year - lots of over paid bankers needing some place to eat
Sunday 14 September 2008 12.49pm
JGArcia wrote:
lots of over paid bankers

spelling?
Sunday 14 September 2008 1.09pm
I'm not sure the people RBS moved there are bankers at all. Aren't they all support staff, IT, etc.?
Sunday 14 September 2008 1.31pm
I acknowledge that most of these places are positioned with the Blue Fin staff in mind but I still don't see how the sums add up. Most of these places are empty, if not shut after 6pm and whilst The Refinery will no doubt be successful and bring trade to some of the eateries in the area, can it sustain so many? You pick up a bite to eat on the way to work or at lunch, the rest is spent AT work presumably so where is the trade, especially at weekends? It'll be a long time before the Tate effect hits Southwark Street in my view and in the meantime?

Also, I'm not certain that after spending all day working in the same building I'd be happy with merely popping downstairs for a special treat; I for one would want to be as far from work as possible for the evening.
Sunday 14 September 2008 3.21pm
Popped into del'Aziz after going to Tate Modern this afternoon. I thought it was rather expensive. Nevertheless, there were plenty of customers.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: