Hop Exchange

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Davies Sunday 14 September 2008 11.00pm
Just see a Notice of application sign up at the back of Southwark Cathedral that the Hop Exchange is subject to a compulsory purchase order so they can demolish it as part of the development of Borough market.
James Hatts Sunday 14 September 2008 11.57pm
Network Rail does indeed want to purchase the Hop Exchange [where it is an office tenant] for the purposes of building the new Thameslink viaduct through the market area.

A public inquiry into the proposal opens on Tuesday at Southwark Cathedral - see:

http://www.persona.uk.com/Thameslink2008/

It should be stressed that Network Rail certainly aren't proposing wholesale demolition of the building - the dispute is about alterations to the back of the building and future access for servicing etc.

The Peer Group - current owners of the building - have their own proposals to revamp the Hop Exchange worked up by Greig + Stephenson, the architects who incorporated the Floral Hall portico into Borough Market, amongst other things.

Editor of the London SE1 website and SE1 Direct newsletter
smoggy Monday 15 September 2008 9.29am
James Hatts wrote:
It should be stressed that Network Rail certainly aren't proposing wholesale demolition of the building - the dispute is about alterations to the back of the building and future access for servicing etc.

Thanks for clearing that up James, I nearly choked on my coffee when I read the original post! The Hope Exchange must be listed I assume?
janefs Monday 15 September 2008 10.20am
smoggy wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up James, I nearly choked on my coffee when I read the original post! The Hope Exchange must be listed I assume?

James is correct in saying the dispute relates to alterations / access at the back of the Hop Exchange. Meanwhile smoggy, please note that being listed did little to protect some of the buildings which will disappear under the path of the new viaduct.
Jan the old one Monday 15 September 2008 12.55pm
It's a beautiful building inside, I used to work there moons ago, it even had a lift that had an attendant...
Davies Tuesday 16 September 2008 10.53pm
Relieved to hear wholesale destruction not plan A, the notice didn't give any details on that front and as I understand that 22 listed buildings are to be destroyed for the viaduct and apparently essential modern glass retail outlets I feared the worst.
James Hatts Tuesday 16 September 2008 11.06pm
It seems that a deal may have been reached between Network Rail and Peer Group - the inquiry only sat for 45 minutes this morning and has been adjourned till Thursday afternoon.

Gav79 Wednesday 17 September 2008 12.58pm
janefs wrote:
smoggy wrote:

James is correct in saying the dispute relates to alterations / access at the back of the Hop Exchange. Meanwhile smoggy, please note that being listed did little to protect some of the buildings which will disappear under the path of the new viaduct.

Do you know which listed buildings are under threat?
James Hatts Thursday 11 December 2008 2.30pm
The secretary of state's decision letter on the Network Rail (Thameslink) (Land Acquisition) Order is now here:
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/twa/dl/thameslink

The main change the minister wants to make to the order is to "amend gender-specific terms to ones which are gender-neutral"...

Other notes of interest from the extracts from the inspector's report:

Planning Inspector Jack Moffett wrote:
I conclude that the design of the Works is progressing, in accordance with NR procedures [4.13-4.15], to meet the programmed start on site of the Works in January 2009 [4.16] and the scheduled completion of the Project by December 2015

Planning Inspector Jack Moffett wrote:
I conclude that the owners and occupiers of the Hop Exchange and adjoining land would be able to carry on their businesses effectively and safely.

lullabelle Monday 15 December 2008 3.17pm
I love this building. I went to a party there back in 1995 and it was amazing - what a great place. The inside is wonderful. What a shame it is being used as boring old offices for Network Rail.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions