Bermondsey Street Festival

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
anon
Monday 15 September 2008 9.55am
[post removed - December 2011]
Monday 15 September 2008 11.39am
I agree - it was really busy this year, so many more people out than last year
Monday 15 September 2008 4.59pm
We had a good time. The kids really enjoyed the face painting and the art making, as well as watching the fashion show and the dog show. And my husband really enjoyed the locally made bikini as well! It was quite interesting to note that all the businesses which took part were from the south of the tunnel. (If I am wrong, apologies!) It seems quite difficult to get the north and south ends of the street to get together.

froggy
Monday 15 September 2008 5.46pm
Isn't Poppy Hana north of the tunnel?
Monday 15 September 2008 5.52pm
On behalf of the Bermondsey Street Area Partnership can I say how much we appreciated all the support we received that made the event such a success. It would not have been possible without our sponsors who made it financially viable (Acorn Group, Igloo, Acorn Development, Sellar, LZW, Sunlight, Southwark Council, Great Portland Estates, Ewan Searle Studio).

The stalls of the local businesses added a creative twist, and of course the fashion show, dog show, activities and acts all helped crearte a wonderful buzz. Also, of course, our thanks to all who volunteered and visited on the day. A great community day. Thanks.

In reply to Froggy, we do have a good relationship with Team London Bridge (they were a Festival Supporter), and hope that by next year we will see more of the firms in that area present. We did have participation from further south: Six Wines Eight; Sainsbury, Marmalade, and of course Igloo from Bermondsey Square.
Monday 15 September 2008 6.17pm
It was a great event and much appreciated. Thanks. And the best thing for me - though not my waistline - was the stall at which local ladies were selling cakes. Absolutely delicious, charmingly served and reasonably priced. I'd been thinking that burgers at a fiver a throw (however nice) didn't make for a very family-friendly occasion, wallet-wise. And then, lo, there was a huge chunk of home-made lime cake for twenty five p....
Monday 15 September 2008 7.17pm
I have to say the 5 burger from Village East were fab and well worth the money! I couldn't manage a cake after the huge one I scoffed down. More's the pity as I thought the cakes looked great too. Congrats to all for making the day so successful.
Monday 15 September 2008 7.21pm
I had a great time too. We were the people doing the craft and painting workshop and the facepainting, (glad to hear your kids enjoyed it Froggy). Definitely want to take part next year.
Wednesday 17 September 2008 2.12pm
Glad to hear you all enjoyed it - and that you felt it had a community feel because that was what we wanted to put on. I really want to thank all our committee members and volunteers who made it happen - who also have day jobs - and our local sponsors. We also had a cinema showing in Bermondsey Square of the Rocky Horror Picture Show that was alot of fun in the evening. Just to attest to our sense of community, here are comments from Patricia Quinn, who joined us on the evening - she played Magenta and opened the film as 'the lips'...

'I HAVE BEEN INVOLVED IN COUNTLESS ROCKYHORROR EVENTS ALL OVER THE WORLD AND FOUND THE BERMONDSEY SQUARE FESTIVAL TO HAVE BEEN ONE OF THE MOST DELIGHTFUL IN ENTHUSIASM,HOSPITALITY AND JOY FROM THE YOUNGEST , FAMILY, FRIENDS AND VISITORS.I SHOULD LIKE TO THANK ALL WHO TOOK PART AND FOR ARRANGING SUCH AN UNFORGETTABLE EVENING,
MY LOVE PATRICIA QUINN MAGENTA X'

Best, Shawna (Chair, BSAP)

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: