Railway arches on Great Suffolk Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 15 September 2008 9.16pm
Hi,

Does anyone know whether all of the Railway Arches on Great Suffolk Street near Pocock Street are going to turn into empty glass fronted off spaces?

So far one is already converted and three more on the go? The Man Bar has also closed(does anyone know why it shut), hope that is not turning into an office which would only leave the daltons arch and the mysterious blue doored one...

Considering the current economic climate I don't think anyone will be renting those office spaces anytime soon.Maybe I should be thankful they have not turned into another Pret or starbucks..

Related news & features

Tuesday 16 September 2008 12.22am
captaint wrote:
Hi,
The Man Bar has also closed(does anyone know why it shut),

I have been told the owners opened a new place in the West End, apparently very popular as well.
Tuesday 16 September 2008 8.35am
nelson_ wrote:
captaint wrote:
Hi,
The Man Bar has also closed(does anyone know why it shut),

I have been told the owners opened a new place in the West End, apparently very popular as well.
It's the beginning of the end for SE1. Mark my words. Something like the frappucino index, but in reverse.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 16 September 2008 8.50am
Yes, those arches on Great Southwark Street are all being turned in to "contemporary office space".

http://www.spacia.co.uk/flagship.asp?fdv=1

They are doing the same on Chancel Street and Burrell Street

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 17 September 2008 7.19pm
Hmm... they evoke such excitement for their sensitive use of materials and location don't they?
Thursday 18 September 2008 12.42am
could be worse...a "Blacking -Factory Experience" or a "Dark Satanic Mill" Attraction.
Sensitive adaptation costs too much. It's a pity, but there you are....big business only sees the cost, not the value. Quickest financial gain for smallest investment. But you know that already...
Thursday 18 September 2008 4.37am
Ivanhoe wrote:
nelson_ wrote:
captaint wrote:
Hi,
The Man Bar has also closed(does anyone know why it shut),

I have been told the owners opened a new place in the West End, apparently very popular as well.
It's the beginning of the end for SE1. Mark my words. Something like the frappucino index, but in reverse.
Yeah, just watch the Fort relocate to Leicester Square any day now.
Thursday 18 September 2008 7.31am
better that its utilised than not
Thursday 18 September 2008 8.04am
I'd quite like to go to a Blacking-Factory Experience!

(Joke.)
Thursday 18 September 2008 1.26pm
i just don't get that some great ideas aren't transferred across the channel.
in paris they transformed a pretty dire stretch of road (rue de lyon in the 12e) and disused arches into small workshops for "artisans" -craftmenship(?) in colaboration with the city of paris. very funky and great success at the time (in the 90's). not sure if they are still about, will try and dig out some info.
obviously not a money making scheme, but who is going to rent funky overpriced offices at the moment??
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: